Rear Differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sunvale

Reaction score
I have been hearing a howl from the rear for some time. Its a 06 CRD, my second one and both had the same noise during various speeds. Does the Diesel have more torque and the Differential is for the gas version?
Peter

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
The only differential difference between diesel and petrol Liberties is the ratio. Howling is probably wheel bearings, pinion bearings, or lack of gear lube.

You're right that the diesel has more torque. The torque converter is the typical fail point for the CRD's extra torque.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On mine the pinion bearings were shot, howled at around 50mph under acceleration, silent on overrun.
The Diesel manual and auto have different ratio diffs.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done pinion bearings twice now in the KJ. Once with 3.54 and once with 3.73. First time it sounded like a howl. 2nd time was a weird swishy noise (thought it was the tcase.) Seems to be a common thing.

The dodge 8.25" was used in half-ton pickups and cars with small V8's so it should be up for the task.