AZJKJ Christmas Run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok quick trip report...

Russ's Family and I met in Sedona Saturday, we ran Soldier's Pass and Broken Arrow. We then headed up to Flag for the evening and some dinner. We parted company and i ventured up to some forrest roads near the snow bowl then over to the flag OHV area. here are the pics...

Russ on the steps on broken arrow
You must be registered for see images attach

Russ on other stuff on broken arrow

Some Plant, (playing w/ a VERY nice Lens, that wasnt mine :D)

San Fansisco Peak

Aspens near snow bowl

o8K playing in the cinder hills OHV area

Last edited:

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice pics, I have to get up to the Cinders OHV park next time I go visit my brother in Flagstaff.

Some Plant, (playing w/ a VERY nice Lense, :D)
It's a variant of the agave, some of which are used to make tequila drunk.gif

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool pictures. Went all the way from Flagstaff to Sedona to the Cinders huh. Decent mileage you racked up today.

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a good time, my family really enjoyed the run. I'm sorting through many many pics, and have to badger the rest of my family for their good pics.

Nice Cinder Hills pics, I must add that to my list of places to go.

Now that's a wide lens! (Casey was right on my fender - I was worried I was going to hit him)

Russ

Arizona KJ Carlos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty Cool photos Casey, do you know what lens you were using? I am looking for a wide angle type lens for my camera...I like the one you used. Great shots and cool scenery.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish we could of been there. So, what do you guys think, could I have done the steps without being lifted?

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty Cool photos Casey, do you know what lens you were using? I am looking for a wide angle type lens for my camera...I like the one you used. Great shots and cool scenery.

Happy New Years all !!! :)

Carlos: zuiko 7-14mm, 114degree FOV, Retail $1650.00. I would also LOVE to own this lens but, omg $^10 =O maybe a tax return present for myself er somthing one day... It may be in my bag one day...

AJ: the steps are pretty rutted, if you end up in the ruts, u will want to be lifted. Though Russ managed very well to stay out of them where it was important tho. i have now, twice in a row, hit my A arm at the bottom of the steps from being in the rut (A arms are tough tho and it was a little bump :D ). I wouldnt advise no lift KJ on the steps, take that there bypass they gots!

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, those are Goodyear MT/R's on the Wrangler Rubicon wheels - I really like the look of those wheels. You can often find them gently used, I got mine out at ALLJ when they did the lift.

AJ - I'm thinking a lift would be required. It's not a difficult trail technically, but it does need ground clearance.

More pics!

Chicken Point at the end of Broken Arrow:
You must be registered for see images

Five of the Seven Sacred Pools from Soldier Pass:

Something I have never seen before - the jet contrails were moving very quickly but staying intact, and as they would pass in line with the sun you could see their shadows. Here you can see the shadow of the contral in front of the plane:

More to come - I still need to get pics from other members of the expedition.

Last edited:

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So guys, was there much traffic on Broken Arrow? I'm sure you saw some Pink Jeeps, but other than that how busy was it?

Not too bad. We did pull over at the top of the steps to let two rock crawlers past us...

...so we could take our time, and even then by the time I was going down there was a Pink Jeep coming down behind me that you can see in Casey's first picture. We were the only ones at Chicken Point for a few minutes before two fully laden Pink Jeeps showed up. All in all we probably saw about twenty or so other vehicles over the entire trail (which is only a few miles long), and about half of them were Pink Jeeps.

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Casey, Russ... needing a lift on a KJ to do the steps was kinda what I was thinking since even in the non-lifted TJ I had to be careful. Glad you saw the seven sacred pools on Soldiers Pass. How was that trail? From what I remember, our KJ should of been able to make it as long as the trail hasn't got much worse since we last ran it several years ago....

Nice pics!!!

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you saw the seven sacred pools on Soldiers Pass. How was that trail? From what I remember, our KJ should of been able to make it as long as the trail hasn't got much worse since we last ran it several years ago....

It wasn't very difficult. I think the turnoff to the big sinkhole (the Devil's Living Room? Devil's Kitchen? Devil's Garage? One of the Devil's rooms) is the hardest thing, there's a tight turn between two trees and a steep steppy thing. Should be easily navigable stock with skid plates. Casey? Concur?

I'm curious if anyone has run Broken Arrow with a stock Libby - with skid plates and rails it may well be do-able. I only have an extra inch of clearance under the rear diff from stock (the larger tires) and I never dragged it on the rutted section of the steps. The only issue would be breakover angle and getting high centered. I don't think I have ever been as nose-down as I was on the steps.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russ... thanks for the reply, and yeah, the short side trip to the sinkhole is called Devil's Kitchen. It was the toughest spot of Soldier's Pass. Wells #18 rates it difficult, which I thought was over rated in his book. That's one of the trails I was trying to get Shawn to do when he was trying to set this run up, I thought it to be a fun and interesting trail, tho short....

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i agree, that the section on Soldiers pass leading to the sink hole was the hardest part of any of the trails up there (ill include greasy spoon in the list). I ran all of broken arrow, accept the steps in my stock libby w/ nerf bars, back b4 my lift when i first moved out here (no skids). i had to be careful but it was do-able. On these trails i can tease the rock crawlers, i say " are you even trying?" They say no usualy and we have a laugh. The scenery is about the best in the country but the trails are rather tame.

Me at the broken arrow sink hole no lift...

Too bad ya couldnt make it Shawn, it would have been fun...

Last edited:

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still even more further different pictures

Casey just starting over the steps on Broken Arrow (picture by Patricia Keegstra):

Casey nose down on the steps (picture by Jim Bartel):

Me trying to stay out of the ruts (pic by Jim):

Lineup shot by Jim:

Ya know, now that I look at these pictures again I think a stock Libby could do the steps, if you stay out of the ruts.

Last edited: