Driver Side Turn Signal & Running Light Prob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XJ0017

Reaction score
Hello. My gf has a 2012 Liberty. All of the sudden the drivers side front turn signal and running light don't work when headlights turn on. I don't think it's the multifunction switch because when it's set to auto they'll work until it gets dark without touching it. I see some people run an additional ground for this but does anyone know where exactly the ground culprit is for this on a 2012 Liberty? I see a couple on the drivers side under fuseboxish area and one that looks a little worse on the passenger side under air cleanerish area. Figured maybe one of you would know and save me a little time tracing them. Thanks.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my case the break in the ground wire was somewhere between the side marker light and the grounding point of its wire harness to the steel body behind the drivers headlight. No fuse boxes were involved. I ran a new ground to this same location and it solved the problem.

Your broken wire may be in a different spot though, so it would be good to get a multimeter or test light so you can track down where the issue is.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

The break was between the left park/turn lamp and ground point G108.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, good point. I interpreted that as having no power to the running light or turn signal (both same bulb but different circuits). Since both filaments share a single ground, I was assuming the ground was the issue. Hopefully the OP can clarify whether the turn signal works when the headlights are off. If it blinks, but very dimly, they could still have a ground issue.

XJ0017

Reaction score
Ah, good point. I interpreted that as having no power to the running light or turn signal (both same bulb but different circuits). Since both filaments share a single ground, I was assuming the ground was the issue. Hopefully the OP can clarify whether the turn signal works when the headlights are off. If it blinks, but very dimly, they could still have a ground issue.
Thanks for your responses and that diagram. Yes if the headlights are off then the turn signal works fine. When the headlights are on it hyper flashes inside and gives nothing in the front (no signal and no running light and this is whether turning headlights on from multi switch or headlights naturally turning on from the auto headlight mode. Rear one on that side will blink fast when it does it.

I actually can find some youtube vids and things from forums of people having this same prob but on other vehicles and it ends up being a grounding point that needs to be stripped back and redone. I haven't gotten around to it yet because I've been busy with my XJ's ha