AZJKJ Christmas Run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and still nothing to say!!! :p :D ;)

LOL thanks for that keen ovbservation..... I was sitting there last night posting and noticed i wat at 499 and just couldnt think of anything to say. So posting 500 got the best of me... Sue me =D

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL thanks for that keen ovbservation..... I was sitting there last night posting and noticed i wat at 499 and just couldnt think of anything to say. So posting 500 got the best of me... Sue me =D
Okay, consider yourself sued... :)

AZ-RED-KJ

Reaction score
I might be able to tag along on the 29th, work permitting or GTO run
i will keep an eye on the post but if anyone wants to PM me before
with meeting place and time that would be cool

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all, we're in on this. Unless either of our families makes plans for us in our absence.

Russ and/or Mary

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the other day while talking with Vern that the redrock pass is only needed if we are planning on stoping for longer than 15 min. do we still think we will need to shell out the cash or do we think most of our stops are just to take pics and bs for less than 15 mins?

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all, we're in on this. Unless either of our families makes plans for us in our absence.

Russ and/or Mary
Hey Russ... it's good to hear from you, it's been awhile. Glad you and Mary can make it!!!

the other day while talking with Vern that the redrock pass is only needed if we are planning on stoping for longer than 15 min. do we still think we will need to shell out the cash or do we think most of our stops are just to take pics and bs for less than 15 mins?
Robert... Vern is correct, but you never know how long we'll be stopped and it's for a good cause. We do have a habit of stopping a lot longer than 15 minutes. Check it out here....

OT: Thanks for everyone's concern for Beth. She had her surgery last Friday and is doing well. They removed a large growth from deep in her right breast and the good news is, it was NOT cancerous. She'll be more than ready to hit the trails on this run....

Last edited:

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Russ... it's good to hear from you, it's been awhile. Glad you and Mary can make it!!! Are you driving to Phoenix or Sedona the night before? If you're stopping in Phoenix, do guys want to get some dinner Friday night? If you come up the back way through Florence, you'll go right by the Chinese place we ate at before in Gold Canyon, or if anyone else wants to meet up for dinner, we could meet someplace in Phoenix that's more centrally located....

Robert... Vern is correct, but you never know how long we'll be stopped and it's for a good cause. We do have a habit of stopping a lot longer than 15 minutes. Check it out here....

OT: Thanks for everyone's concern for Beth. She had her surgery last Friday and is doing well. They removed a large growth from deep in her right breast and the good news is, it was NOT cancerous. She'll be more than ready to hit the trails on this run....

Great to hear that Beth is ok and it turned out to be nothing too serious. Definitely looking forward to having all of the original people on this run (with some new ones too).

As for the pass, I will buy one just in case. Better to have it and not need it.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the pass, I will buy one just in case. Better to have it and not need it.
Ditto, plus I could spend an hour at the top of Broken Arrow:
You must be registered for see images attach

I can just imagine what it'll look like if there's snow on the ground :)

Signcutter21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AJ, tell Beth we're glad everything turned out good. That's gotta be scary.

Though we'll not be able to make it, going to Misery for vacation where I'm sure it'll be snowing, I think the Red Rock Pass would be a very good idea. 15 minutes isn't a very long time. Heck lunch or a flat tire change takes more than that. Not to mention by buying the pass it supports the Forest Service and shows the government that their trails are being used.

later,
mike

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
plus its good to finantialy support the people who maintan the places we love so dear.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, we're within 10 days of the scheduled run. Personally, I would prefer to run some lighter duty trails. Rockcrawling isn't sounding very appealing to me. I think I dodged some bullets on the last Box Canyon run and I don't want to tempt fate being unlifted.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, we're within 10 days of the scheduled run. Personally, I would prefer to run some lighter duty trails. Rockcrawling isn't sounding very appealing to me. I think I dodged some bullets on the last Box Canyon run and I don't want to tempt fate being unlifted.

naw shawn common now, dodged a bullet? you did awesome on box canyon =) thats was YOU in the drivers seat, chance had nothin to do with it, your a man in charge of your own fate, not fate in charrge of you son! You showed a great ballence of... skill to overcome obsticles, the trust in your team to push you beyond what u thought u could do, and the dicipline to know when to say i cant do that or just to park it and walk. and if i recall correctly you did box canyon without one major "bang ouch" and skill, trust and dicipline is what it takes.

ok off soap box... there are still plenty of trails to run up there to satify all appitites and just enjoy the scenery without major worry of vehicle carnage =) now wheres that list.. that homestead trail is fun, schnebly hill is good times, there is one south west of sadona that ive not run yet... broken arrow CAN be run stock but if ur looking for a relaxing day, broken arrow and stock would be more like a tripple espresso vs a beer

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't follow your post. :confused:

Haven't you already decided on Van Deren's Cabin and Oak Creek Homestead? Neither one of them are "rock crawling" or difficult.

With "8" days left, I suggest you finalize what trails you are doing so folks can make up their mind if they want to attend or not, because IMO, some of the trails in Sedona or too little time in the dirt are not worth the effort to drive all the way up there for.

Also, as I mentioned before... the trails you picked are at very best, four hours of off road time. I'd have another trail or two in your back pocket if you want more time in the dirt, which Beth and I do.

For those that what more trail time, I'd suggest Soldier Pass and/or Broken Arrow. Wells rates them both as difficult, but they are not that bad (Box Canyon and Hands Pass are worse).

The very short side trip to Devil's Kitchen on Soldiers Pass is the only slightly difficult part of the trail. For those that don't want to do it, they could hang out 20-30 minutes on the side of the main trail. The Seven Apache Sacred Pool's is a pretty scenic spot for the photo bugs in the group is another is why I think it's a good reason to do this trail.

As for Broken Arrow, What can you say? It's the most scenic trail in Sedona. The only reason it's rated difficult is because of the "Steps" and that has a bypass. The Pink Jeeps are the biggest hassle.

I don't mean to hijack your run, just want to know what we're doing and offering some additional trails for those that want some more time in the dirt....

Last edited:

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had listed the other two, but Broken Arrow kept coming up as though it was the plan. As for not difficult, I heard that last time and if I end up on another waterfall like in Martinez Cabin after hearing that, I guarantee I am not going to be a pleasant person to be around. I am really wanting to do more easygoing stuff for the scenery rather than the challenge this time. I guess we could even push back the start time to later in the afternoon to compensate for the shorter trails. However, if no one wants to go that route, let me know.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shawn... you're really mixing me up here dude. Where was it posted we were doing Broken Arrow? Even if we ran it, it's no more than 2 hours max. You still have the other two trails listed and that's what I thought we were doing. So, which is it?

As for "not difficult"... the first thing you need to learn about four wheeling is that trails change, moderate one time, difficult the next. It all depends on the area and if there's been a lot of water go through. Also, trail ratings are very subjective. And as I've said several times before in this thread... the only moderately difficult part of Broken Arrow for a stock KJ are the Steps and then there is a bypass if you don't want to try it.

There's nothing wrong with scenic trails, in reality, that's what we prefer in the Liberty. This is your run, plan it as what you want to do. We'll do just about any trail, but I'm not for pushing the start time back later in the day for only 3-4 hours of wheeling. It's not worth my time and effort to drive all the way up to Sedona for a few hours of trail time. What's wrong with adding another trail or two to your itinerary and make a full day of wheeling and then dinner? That's what most of here always do, but you've always left early.

I don't mean to be kicking a dead horse, but this whole thing is getting silly. Put us on the standby list till you get the details of this run finalized.... and then we'll let you know if we'll make it.

Last edited:

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of this thread has been discussing Broken Arrow. Honestly, I'm sorry to do this to everyone that has marked this off on the calendar, but I think I'm going to cancel this one (at least my leadership of it). I don't know the area that well, I'm getting conflicting information from everyone, and I have some other opportunities in the area with my family. If anyone else would like to take over, by all means, go for it.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shawn deleted the attendee list and all the information for this run in the first post of this thread... so, whoever still wants to do the Sedona run, let me know and I'll get a new list going, set up a meeting place, time etc.

I'll stay with the original plan of Van Deren's Cabin and Oak Creek Homestead and throw in Soldiers Pass and/or Broken Arrow to make a full day of it and dinner afterwards.

Last edited: