04 Liberty Front Differential Cover Leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wildcrew6

Reaction score
Howdy All! I'm a newbi here and have a 2004 Jeep Liberty 3.7L 4x4 with 128k and it's been a great runner. I recently replaced the fluid in the rear diff. and the transfer case and found that front differential is dripping. My question is, does the bracket holding/bracing it to the front cross-rail need to be removed entirely or does it "swivel" downward towards the front or does it need to be totally removed from the frame rail? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Front Differetnial, 2004 Jeep Liberty.jpg
    Front Differetnial, 2004 Jeep Liberty.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 18

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's 3 bolts, just remove the entire bracket and support the diff with a jackstand, probably no sense in fighting with it.

Wildcrew6

Reaction score
Thanks for the help Duderz7! When I searched for any info on this, it's either taking it out entirely or changing the fluid so I appreciate your insight. I'll PB Breaker the bolts, give it a go and post back with my results. Thnx!

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help Duderz7! When I searched for any info on this, it's either taking it out entirely or changing the fluid so I appreciate your insight. I'll PB Breaker the bolts, give it a go and post back with my results. Thnx!
I've never done without removing the diff (because I was changing gears) so I'm not speaking from experience, but it seems like the most logical / least work approach. There's a corresponding forward bolt on the other side that may allow you to let the whole diff hinge down a bit for even more access to the cover. Just be careful you don't go too far and damage something else. Let us know how it goes.

mooku21

Reaction score
It's 3 bolts, just remove the entire bracket and support the diff with a jackstand, probably no sense in fighting with it.
Do you know what the torque for the bolts are? Both the bolt fornt and the 3 rear that goes into the diff?

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
there you go, I've got the FSM downloaded onto my phone. It is very handy.