Oil pan removal while front differential is out.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I looked up 2005 oil pan removal ( go to youtube "2005 6 bolts 2 hr. pan removal ) he talk about removing motor mount bolts, and 2 rear cross member bolts to drop front end about 6 inches

Thanks for the info, however, now that I've dug into this and done it myself - I definitely would just remove the front diff if I ever had to do this again.

FYI: I did end up removing the engine because it needed freeze plugs. Had I known.....

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, freeze plugs are in. The engine is now back between the fenders (with new mounts!), and I'm currently in the process of putting everything back together.

Too bad it's close to effing Thanksgiving and I really have no time to myself until after the useless holidays.

You must be registered for see images attach

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More good progress today. This heap jeep is nearing completion :)

The front diff is completely bolted in, axles, fresh gear oil, and I even put the front bracket bolts so it's easier to remove next time.

Front driveshaft is in (and, it's brand new :mad:. Couldn't find a rebuild kit for the front CV joint).

With the bottom all tidied up and complete, I turned my attention to the intake manifold. That now has all new gaskets and I cleaned it up a bit. Then, the fuel injectors got all new o-rings, and I was just about to put the coil packs back on when I realized that I never checked the spark plugs on this heap. Yeah.... those are toast!

These are NGK copper plugs. The closest part match that Advance Auto had were these cheapo looking Denso Iridiums. $11/plug and there was some shady chinese writing on the box. That would have been $66 + tax for junk that I don't want. HELL NO!

We found NGK coppers on wholesale closeout (Rock Auto) for $1.36 each and only $8 to ship. Much better, even if we have to wait for them to come in!

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good progress! Looking forward to seeing it back on the road I bet.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My CV rebuild kit came from eBay. Its a joint commonly used on SxS vehicles, apparently.

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good progress! Looking forward to seeing it back on the road I bet.

Absolutely. We need it driveable and inspected before the snow hits. That could be any day now. The last biggest thing that is preventing a sticker is the windshield. It has sizeable crack along the passenger side - which will pass PA inspection - but we would also have to get it inspected again if we put sticker on it without replacing the windshield. Plus, the Wife says it bothers her. So what's the issue? Well, funding, of course.

Then again, I'm debating just digging a little deeper into the old cowhide and getting it done while it's on jack stands.

My CV rebuild kit came from eBay. Its a joint commonly used on SxS vehicles, apparently.

Was it both CV's or just the one front the driveshaft to the transfer case?

CarlosHRNYC

Reaction score
So, the title says it all, but therein lies the question, lol. 05 KJ.... While I have the front diff out (due to it needing replacement), I was wondering if anyone has replaced the oil pan gasket WITHOUT removing the engine, while the front diff is out.

It looks like it should be easy - as there's a good 2 inches of clearance between the bottom of the oil pan and the frame it sits above. But I don't know. I've replaced the oil pan/gasket twice before (on a different KJ) but both other times I had pulled the engine.

Any input from the masses?
I've done it. Dropped the diff, and with a bit of finagling... Wiggled the oil pan out the front.

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dude, I'm telling you, I had found that the one day, I was all set to order it, then I went back and it was GONE.

It's water under the bridge now, but at least we all have the link for future reference.