Zinc vs Stainless?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Building some crossbars and want to get stainless steel ubolts but I cannot find any that will work anywhere, even checked online. Would zinc suffice? I just don't want rust, if I have to replace them every now and then that's fine, but they will be used all winter so I'd like to go at least that long without them rusting. Any ideas? Thanks

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zinc plated hardware is a plating that is put on steel bolts to slow down rust but not stop it. Zinc is simular to galvanizing, but zinc is a cleaner, finer ground particle. It is a protective finish that can last a long time or for a very short time. This is dependent on the manufacture process and application. Zinc does not hold up well to salt water or winter road salt.

Stainless ones are generally used where rust resistant/proof is needed and I dont belieive get graded from strength like steel fasteners do.

Not sure where to get stainless ubolts. When I first made my cross bars that have since been replaced by Boilers Aluminum roof rack, I primed and painted my ubolts due to only being able to find zinc patted ones and they never rusted on me!

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Stainless steel bolts etc = Check out places that sell parts for boats/ships/sail boats /yachts

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got my stainless u-bolts from lowes, they are 5/16"-18 and 1-3/4" is the bend radius IIRC, i sleeved them with fuel line hose to prevent damage to the rails and basket, they work great.

ArtO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you've found these yet, but the place where I used to work carries SS u bolts in sizes from 1/2" pipe up to 24" pipe. They are Rumetco Sales in Syracuse NY. They will ship anywhere that UPS delivers to. Their number is 315-422-0237. I am no longer employed there and will not profit if you purchase from them.