Your comments on these wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this too good to be true, or just about right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=170123690698&rd=1,1

The listing is for set of 4 16" rims for US $337.00. I checked around these wheels go for at least $175 to $200 per rim.
He seems to have decent feedback, I wonder if these are replica or not? They seem OK..

What do you think? I am thinking 18" $522.00 SET OF 4 plus general grabbers would look pretty good. :p

sad2.gif

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the looks of them. The price seems reeeealy good ($84.24 apiece).

It doesn't say what they are made of. Some of the other ones that are more expensive say chrome, etc, and this one doesn't. Just check on what they are made of.

If you are changing rim size (from 17 to 16 you should get 5). You will then have better sizes/types of tires to choose from but you will need 5 tires. You will also need TPM's in them or your system will probably be beeping at you forever. Add up all the cost and see where you are with it.

Your 17" rims are nice if I remember. They are similar to mine. Are you just tired of them??

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Opps, you said 18"........check tire sizes carefully.

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I could possibly use the factory TPM.
As for 18" I was thinking of going this way: http://jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32148

Regarding my stock rims, it's not that I am tired of them, I wanted to go 16 or 18 to get the better tires. I really like my rims actually. If they were 18 or 16, I wouldn't be changing them. The reason I mentioned 18 instead of 16, I want less sidewall flexing since I do mostly highway, and lower profile tires on 18 should be OK.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget about offset. The 18's you want have a 0mm offset. If I remember right, stock offset is 41mm. That's going to bring that wheel outward over 1.6" and cause rubbing issues even with a stock tire width (which would be tough to use anyway with an 8.5" wheel) without lifting. I would be very careful before you buy anything. I agree the price is right, but make sure their going to fit first. I can almost guarantee that those will not without lifting because of the offset issue.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you can just put your factory TPM's on the new rims. I guess I was thinking you were just going to keep your factory rims and tires intact.

I do like the looks of the 18" rims and tires in the link.

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize the offset issue. I agree stock offset is way out. 0 offset along with wider rims will be a problem. And I don't think they would make these rims in positive offset. All the good looking wheels have 0 offset.

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most wheels come in RWD or FWD configurations, the front wheel drive configuration gives a backspacing similar or exactly like the stock wheels.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. That's what I saw, selection of wheels with FWD or RWD. I chose RWD since our jeeps are.
On another note, most of those + offset wheels have "thin" looking spokes. They do not look sturdy enough, or aka "off-road" wheels, which I like very much.

I would like to drive my KJ for a long time, so I don't want to sacrifice handling and wear & tear just for the sake of good looking wheels.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to drive my KJ for a long time, so I don't want to sacrifice handling and wear & tear just for the sake of good looking wheels.

You already have good looking wheels IMO. You just want something better. Stick with a 17" rim and get a good all season tire. Then you won't have to mess with your spare if you don't want to. I think there's a better all season selection than A/T choices in 17's. There seemed to be when I was looking anyway.

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
All season tires are OK, but they don't do well in NYC snow and ice.. Any new tire will do good in Dry pavement. I might end up getting Yokohama Geolandar ATRs if I can find a good review on how they do on dry pavement.
Otherwise will stick to 17s.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
All season tires are OK, but they don't do well in NYC snow and ice.. Any new tire will do good in Dry pavement. I might end up getting Yokohama Geolandar ATRs if I can find a good review on how they do on dry pavement.
Otherwise will stick to 17s.

I think some people on here are running those Yoko Geolanders but don't know if they were the ATR's. Maby if you start a seperate thread about them you will get responses on wet/dry performance.

Dave

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think it's actually geolander at/s.....and that's what I'm gonna be getting at the first of next year

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, A/T+S I am sorry, I am always getting these mixed up..