Wtb: Np231

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wtb: Np231 *DELETED*

EDIT: Salvaged an NP231 from a local junk yard. Problem solved.

Last edited:

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're not in 4hi at 60mph+ right?
Have you checked the CV boot on the t-case side of your front driveshaft? I had some bad noises and shaking from my t-case recently. Turned out it was just the CV joint, and that seems to be a very common issue. You can re-build the head for about $80. Also could be something fixable in the case like a slipping chain or something. If you have to replace the case you're gonna spend a decent amount of $$. I would call some local salvage yards.

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2wd at 60mph.

The CV boot is actually shot on my front DS... The CV very well could be shot as well. I didn't even think about this being the culprit. I did find an NP231 at the local junk yard yesterday, but it's in a Saturday-only lot, so I'll have to wait until then to check it out.

I'm going to order a replacement CV head for the front DS and see if that makes it any better. Thanks for the tip!

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem. There's an awesome "how to" for the front driveshaft CV on here. It really helped me out.

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have it bookmarked and ordered the replacement CV. Should be here Friday.

I really hope this cures the grinding/vibration I'm getting, as I really don't feel like pulling the transfer case from the Liberty I found at the local junk yard. It's all mud and slop there due to recent storms. Not to mention the extra $$$ it'd cost to replace my TC.