Wrong Coolant-Now I've gone and done it..............

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepCat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, a few days ago I changed the antifreeze at a local workshop, warned him it had to be Mopar or one with the same specs, he said no problem, when I picked up the Jeep I asked him again
I had put G12 ++ on it, it told me it was the same as Mopar, now reading this thread I doubt it is correct.
I put a link to a pdf with the specifications
https://www.cofran.fr/medias/fiches_techniques/COFRAN_REFRIGEL_G12++_EN.pdf

It is the only link I found, I do not like what I see, it looks like a generic antifreeze that they sell wholesale and each one puts their brand to market it.

jp7794

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, a few days ago I changed the antifreeze at a local workshop, warned him it had to be Mopar or one with the same specs, he said no problem, when I picked up the Jeep I asked him again
I had put G12 ++ on it, it told me it was the same as Mopar, now reading this thread I doubt it is correct.
I put a link to a pdf with the specifications
https://www.cofran.fr/medias/fiches_techniques/COFRAN_REFRIGEL_G12++_EN.pdf

It is the only link I found, I do not like what I see, it looks like a generic antifreeze that they sell wholesale and each one puts their brand to market it.

I looked at your pdf and G12 ++ is a Si-OAT organic silicat based coolant. I am not sure what the difference is between Si-Oat and HOAT. I do know KJs use HOAT. Reposting TCs pic. Use one of these two in the KJ for a worry free coolant system. Well worry free until the radiator develops a pin hole at the upper hose connection. :)

You must be registered for see images attach

jp7794

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I couldn't sleep and decided to educate myself. tommudd please correct me if I have it wrong as I didn't know one needed to be a chemistry major to keep your engine cool. I also just purchased a washer/dryer and am also ready to get a washboard and head to the creek. Story for a different forum.

Oat Si Antifreeze is an ethylene glycol based engine coolant concentrate, which uses Organic Acid Inhibitor Technology in combination with silicate and is free from nitrites, amines, phosphates, borates.

HOAT - This type of coolant mixes technology from the first two (IAT and OAT) to create a low-silicate, nitrite technology. It contains both silicates and organic acids as inhibitors.

If I am reading things correctly HOAT has nitrates and Si-OAT does not. The only thing I know about nitrates is that I use pink salt to cure my bacon which contains sodium nitrite. It cures the meat and we all know bacon makes us happy!

So I stand by my post above. Nitrates are good for bacon and good for HOAT which is good for me and good for my KJ. :) All this research has made me hungry so I am off to cook some bacon.

Last edited:

JeepCat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of doing the replacement soon, every day it is more difficult to trust the mechanical workshops.;)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I am thinking of doing the replacement soon, every day it is more difficult to trust the mechanical workshops.;)
Just do it yourself
Except for alignments none of my vehicles for the last 45 years or so has gone to a shop to have anything done
even on KJ recalls , Jeep dealerships saw what I needed , handed them over and I installed
Hate shops and to think I used to work in them and even manage them LOL

Latest posts

Members online