POLL: Would you buy your KJ again??

• Yes

Votes: 51 69.9%
  • No

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • No, I'd get another Jeep (JK)

Votes: 10 13.7%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's that got to do with anything? Are mini-van engines some other special piece of crap? What jeep has a min-van engine it? Does it say MIN-VAN on the valve covers or the block, something? All these car companies use the same engine in many of their platforms, that just doesn't make sense.

I had a Mitsubishi 2.5 V6 in my Avenger, didn't get under 20MPG, and had decent power. It is a 3.0 block, underbored to 2.5, and can use the same heads as the 3.0 does.
The JK's use the 3.8 minivan engine(exact same engine also but with a bigger oil pan is all) with the 42RLE bolted behind it which is odd that the 42RLE started it's life as the A604 which 1st appeared in a minivan.

Driven many JK's now and they do feel underpowered,more so then a KJ with the 3.7 in it,the 4.10's for the Rubicons really doesn't help much either.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a difficult call for me. If the KJ had a SFA then I would in a heartbeat. That is my only beef with it. Since it does not, I would only do so if I could get it at today's price. Today I had an epiphany while driving home from work. It was a nice sunny day, and I got into the Jeep all stuffy and icky. Rolled down the windows and headed home. On my way home I saw 3 Wranglers with no tops and I thought. Wow, that would be nice to go topless on a day like this.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm loving mine. I wouldn't change my decision at all if it were a do-over. I do miss my Focus when driving twisty canyon roads but driving the KJ relaxes me overall. It lets me enjoy the scenery more easily.:cool:

kj kyle

Reaction score
I would by another KJ.. but instead of an 06' i would've bought an 05' without ESP. I may actually buy another KJ in the next year for a project vehicle.. it will have to be an 02 / 03 with a 45rfe though.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, but you are designating the 3.8 a MINI-VAN engine, the Liberty uses the 3.7, not 3.8. The question asked in this tread, is would you buy another Liberty...

School: The 3.7 liter PowerTech V-6 engine is, essentially, the 4.7 V-8 with two fewer cylinders. It replaced the 2.5 liter four-cylinder, as well as the 3.9 liter V6 engine, both used only on Jeeps and trucks. Its first use was being the optional engine on the Jeep Liberty, followed quickly by use as the 2002 Dodge Ram's base engine. In both cases, the 3.7 V6 was mated to a five-speed manual transmission or an automatic. It was later attached to a six-speed manual. 3.7 has only two valves per cylinder - better for low-end torque, but not as good at higher rpms. In 2005, the 3.7 engine was treated to numerous economy and idle-quality changes, with a new cam profile, lash adjusters, rings, and a 9.7:1 compression ratio.

I see the Mini Vans used: 2.2, 2.5 Mitsubishi Turbo, 2.6 Mitsubishi, 3.0, 3.3, 3.8, and now the 251 HP 4.0, why are you saying you won't buy a Jeep with a Mini-Van engine, when the Liberty (subject of this thread) does NOT use a MINI-VAN engine?

feetwet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, the MPG is a joke and there are some crappy parts like crummy window regulators and lousy seat fabric that tarnish an otherwise reliable vehicle. It's fun to drive and has great 4wd, but I think I'd buy something with a V8 for better highway towing of my boat. It gets old towing with overdrive turned off and the engine noise at 2500+ RPM to get a decent highway speed. Could probably use a slightly longer wheelbase too. Metal bumpers would be great at the boat ramp where I've had a few bumps from other people backing in their trailers.

What I really need is something between a V8 Dakota and Durango, but not a gas guzzling Dodge/Chrysler vehicle. Don't want a full-size pickup and like having the enclosed SUV back.

Anyway, I'll hang in with the KJ as the resale is pretty weak and I'd like to get it paid off some day.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't, there have simply been too many problems with my KJ. Actually, the KJ is sitting outside right now in the need of a new A/C compressor and radiator.

This might be a little OT but, I once had two 1998 Ford Windstars. Those were the most reliable vehicles we had ever owned! They never had a problem in the 200,000+ miles we owned them. Just did normal preventive maintenance.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I definitively would! :) And it would be again a '03 or a '04... I like the rear disk brakes with ABS and I like the look of the '02-'04... It would be nice have a 45RFE but I think the 42RLE it's just fine... Oh! and it has to be a Limited, with Select Trac and light taupe leather... The body color may be different... red, black, green, blue... all these would be fine... and the engine... I just love the 3.7L... it might be a gas guzzler, but I don't like diesels so much, because the gasoil here isn't good enough which ends in a lot of expensive fixes...

I must confess that was a time I wanted to trade in my KJ for a 4 door Rubi JK, :eek: but then I realize that I can get a better off-road performer KJ for less money that cost me a stock Rubi trade in... (the market value of my KJ it's around USD14.000, and a brand new 4-door Rubi JK it's about USD35.000)

Also I missed the open air feeling, but heck... I need the roof!... Besides, I'm pretty happy with my sunroof :cool:

Cheers! :)

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad I did not trade Rocky for the SRT I wanted in 2006. The KJ has not let me down in 7 years. And it still looks good and not dated. That, plus factory lift, 45RFE, Patriot Blue pearlcoat (which IMO is the best looking finish) & the two 4X4 badges on the rear. I really don't mind the rear drums. I'm keeping it forever.

Last edited:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure myself. I love my KJ. Got about 70k on it and haven't had any problems with it. I'm always nervous about something popping up, but so far, no leaks, no breakages, nothing. And every American car my family has ever owned leaked something, somewhere. So far, I'm impressed. But there are other 4wd vehicles out there that I think are cool that weren't available when I bought the KJ. But I can't complain because the KJ has been very good to me.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Bah. I need to get away from this thread. Making me miss the KJ. But my WK just has so much more room for my gargantuan legs! :D (Well at least for me being 5'10".)

I'm a very disproportionate human. My head is huge and I wear a size 13.5!

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine for the wife de 1500 bucks, at that price of course. Otherwise I hardly doubt it but it has been just fine so no complaints.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
School: The 3.7 liter PowerTech V-6 engine is, essentially, the 4.7 V-8 with two fewer cylinders.... when the Liberty (subject of this thread) does NOT use a MINI-VAN engine?

TJKJ was refering to the JK in his post. That vehicle does infact use the 3.8L engine.

All of us know that the 3.7 is a smaller version of the 4.7. You are not schooling any of them.

There really isn't anything special about the liberty which gets to the point of this thread. Would you buy another one? Because the IFS is weak, the gas mileage is horrible and the later years suffer from Chryslers serious cost cutting measures.

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dig my renegade. There is just a couple things i wished where different. First plastic......plastic everywhere held on with plastic rivets......ohh god i hate plastic. Second i wish the aftermarket was better and we had more options and choices with parts. Yes there are 5-6 companies that make parts, but the Wranglers and Cj's have hundreds of vendors to choose from. Other than those things i am happy. Engine is strong, 4x4 works great, ****** moves it down the road and the comfort inside is great.

And for those complaining about the gas mileage. I owned a 2001 Mazda Miata right before my liberty. 1.8l 4 cyl in a tiny 2000lb car. I got 24 mpg on the highway. In my liberty i have gotten 22 mpg and it is twice as tall, twice as heavy. I still laugh everytime i ride in my buddies Dodge hemi truck and see the single didgit mpg.

ohh ya and would i buy it again? For the $9000 i paid for it 4 months ago........ hell ya.

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I definitively would! :) And it would be again a '03 or a '04... I like the rear disk brakes with ABS and I like the look of the '02-'04... It would be nice have a 45RFE but I think the 42RLE it's just fine... Oh! and it has to be a Limited, with Select Trac and light taupe leather... The body color may be different... red, black, green, blue... all these would be fine... and the engine... I just love the 3.7L... it might be a gas guzzler, but I don't like diesels so much, because the gasoil here isn't good enough which ends in a lot of expensive fixes...

Me exactly, Now that I've had it for awhile I know exactly what I want. I was telling my girlfriend the other day how I wish I could find one just like mine with Select Trac, Lift, ARB, and geared for off-road use. (and leather, oh yeah!)

I love my Liberty, Its changed me for life. I will own many more jeeps in my life. My next will most likely be a 96-05' Wrangler. Something that will be easy to fit some 33" tires on. Something that looks better dirty.

Shes just glad I'm car shopping cause that means she gets the Libby. She commonly refers to it as "cute" which ****** me off.

feetwet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shes just glad I'm car shopping cause that means she gets the Libby. She commonly refers to it as "cute" which ****** me off.

My wife pointed out that almost every KJ you see on the road is driven by a woman and said I drive a girl car. Since then I've always wanted to make my KJ look a little more macho... but I just don't see many easy mods that do much for the looks...

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife pointed out that almost every KJ you see on the road is driven by a woman and said I drive a girl car. Since then I've always wanted to make my KJ look a little more macho... but I just don't see many easy mods that do much for the looks...

Tell her you prefer being inside a woman.

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife pointed out that almost every KJ you see on the road is driven by a woman and said I drive a girl car.

In that case, my family is @ss-backwards. I prefer to drive the KJ & my wife prefers the WJ Overland. That's cause she is a control freak who digs power.