Would you buy a refurb?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really want a remote starter for the Jeep. I just dropped money on tires though, and I think the wife will lose it if I drop too much on a starter system.. I sold a couple of things on ebay, so I have a credit in that account. She can't get mad if it's financed through my old crap leaving the house ;)

There's some on ebay that are refurbs in sealed boxes from the manufacturer. They are like 1/2 price (including shipping!). It's a nice unit too, the exact one I'd want.

Any experience buying a refurb electronic item? I think it'd be OK, but for some reason I am still iffy on it.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you want a remote starter? IMHO, I think they're useless, unless if you live in Canada with below 0 conditions. In Michigan, you really only need to warm the engine for 15-30 seconds.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to let it run for 5 mins or so - warms up fairly quickly after that. It took me a while to warm up this morning.

The wife always wants me to warm up the Jeep because she is perpetually cold...I am not about to just let it sit outside running with the keys in it. Her G6 has one, and my Prix had one and I miss it. I love having those things, plus getting the defrosters running earlier is nice too.

I know, idling is bad, blah blah...I had 130k hard miles on my Prix and it was just fine and I used the remote starter a ton.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Atrus.....I really wanted a remote starter especially after seeing how the one on my GF's car worked. I do not know how to install one and priced the Mopar OEM one and dealer install.......$$$$. But I was thinking I would rather have rock rails. I can install them myself and they cost less.

It is 9 degrees here this morning but I have heated seats. Remote starters are nice but I was thinking they only warm up the motor and cabin. Everything elce is STONE COLD. I mean the rest of the drivetrain, etc. So I just start mine and run it for 2 minutes or less max and go. I lock out O/D for the first couple of miles. The whole drivetrain warms up together and my heated seat keeps my butt is warm...... When the motor gets to Operating temp I let the ****** go to O/D. So I reshuffled my "want list". This is just my thoughts on a remote start in general. But I suppose it depends on your need.

If your personal situation warrents the frequent use of a remote start though, you should get one.

As far as a refurbished one, personally I would be a little leary of getting one on e-bay or any mail order company. I would get one from a local "brick and morter" place down the road and let them install it though. That way if anything was wrong they would fix it. Period. Buy it off e-bay and have a problem, and they will say you installed it wrong........nothing wrong with it.

Good idea you have about selling stuff you don't want/can't use any longer to finance a mod AND keep the wife happy at the same time.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Just some thoughts.

Dave

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts Dave.

I don't mind installing it, I've done a few in various cars, and as far as bypassing the secutiry system, it seems this will be the easiest yet. No cutting of wires or anything, very easily reversible, and it stays intact. I think a lot of people are misinformed about how it works.

GM's - you need to cut into the wiring between the ignition and BCM to transmit the correct resistance. For the Jeep, there's a simple RF transmitter you attach to the outside of the cylinder.

I had a remote starter in my last car for 5 years and I loved it. There's not a doubt in my mind that I wouldn't enjoy another - I will have one, and most likely soon. Just really questioning the refurb.

FWIW, I am not always impressed with how local retailers install them. Quite frankly, I prefer my work over theirs - undoubtedly they are more knowledgeable, however, I am confident in my abilities and I care about the install more than they do - I think I do a nicer job.

P.S. - $30 for the secutiry bypass module, and for a nice DEI keyless entry/remote start/aux output (rear glass) unit it's like $125 new or the ones I am looking at are $65 refurbished. If you are mechanically and electrically inclined in the slightest, the installation isn't as intimidating as it sounds. If you understand how the ignition system works and can work a test light, you're golden.

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I've had a few refurb'd electronics.

I say go for it... they're 100% factory tested and come with a warranty as if it was new.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't do it. I bought a refurb Kenwood HU for the KJ. Still had a warranty for 90 days, but, sure enough, right after the warranty expired, the CD function quit working and there is still a CD stuck in my dash now. Spend a little extra and get a good warranty.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have mentioned - they only state that it has a 90 day warranty through the seller...

Probably best to be patient and look for a good deal on a new one. It's hard to be patient!

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My $.o2

I've done a few of these. in few different cars. After I my first remote starter I've put on in every vehicle I've owned since.

I'm actually in the process of getting the stuff together to install one on my '03 limited.

From what I've read, to make the keyless entry work with the factory anti-theft system requires a special module such as the 456lw Door Lock Interface module by DEI, or a couple relay w/resisters since the Libbys use a single where door lock system.

As for the refubished product. If it's factory refubished and sealed, I'd say go for it. I've owned and bought a lot of electronic stuff that's been factory refub. I've even had two PC and no problems. I wouldn't give it a second though.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, FYI - DEI 562T on Amazon NEW for $70 shipped! Not too shabby considering they retail for over $100 ($125?).

I ordered it - with shipping, it ends up being $5 more than the refub. Works for me!

Oh, and Shaffer - thanks for the door lock tip - I got the DEI unit for $24 shipped on ebay. I know you can use relays and junk, but I am all about ease of install for $25! Didn't realize they had those, thought you had to do the relay trick. I'll also let my coworker know - he's putting in a 561R into a 2005 Ram and was just showing me the schematic today for the relay method.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like to buy refurbished stuff, unless it is stuff that I can afford to break down after a few months, or if it will get me through certain period of time.

Griemster1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking from experiance i used to work at shop that sold and installed DEI products. There is absolutly nothing wrong with there refurished products. Now only thing you want to make sure of is DEI has different grades of products such as Hornet, AutoMate, Viper and so on. I would buy any thing less than Viper line.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greimster - why do you say that (Viper?)

I'm putting in a Valet...last car had a valet for 5 years and my mom's Tahoe has had a valet for 3+. Is the Viper line really that much better?

Griemster1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vier and valet are two totally different products they are not even made at the same facility. viper is made with much better components, dont get me wrong i would still take anything DEI over and other off brand unit. And Valet is just one step below Viper.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fully agree on the DEI comment, they are my mfg of choice. I put in a Bulldog in my brother's S-10 last Christmas and they have gotten better. Still not as good, but not downright awful. I had installed one in my Daytona back in '98...don't remember the brand, but JC Whitney special...man was that thing an utter ****. Worked for about 1 week. I returned that thing and called it a day.

Anyway, I am putting another Bulldog in this Christmas (he sold the truck, now has an '01 Malibu).

I'll stick with the Valet (since it's already on it's way!). The 562T looks like a nice unit to me. Much better than the old "two button" unit I had last. It worked well, but I like having a dedicated lock and unlock button, as well as the dedicated start and aux buttons.