wont Idle????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trichard310

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it does. figured it though. Ran it for about 30-45 secs, then let it die....repeated 2-3 times and now I have an idle again, weird.:confused:
That was scary though, thought I damaged the ecu.(dunno)rockon.gif(dunno)rockon.gif

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
If the battery where dead, it wouldn't start!

Key was left in the 'on' position. Battery was drained so gave it a jump. Starts fine, runs smooth, wont idle...just dies?

Tell that to the OEM battery in ThunderbirdJunkie's KJ when it finally gave up the ghost.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trichard:

Check the battery. It's well documented here on jeepkj.com that the Jeep becomes very erratic with a bad battery, leading to all kinds of other spurious problems. The KJ will start and crank with a faulty battery, but will start acting erratically. Idle problems, running problems etc.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats pretty normal if the battery went slap dead. It'll usually have a hard time idling for the first few minutes after it goes dead.

May want to check out the battery anyway though.

Vtolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue in the winter. My 03 would start but not idle unless I reved the motor for a few minutes. I originally figured that it was just really cold out and it was frozen. Well it started doing it more and more until I eventually got a new one battery. Ever since I got a new battery I have had no issues.

BTW I thought that the battery was just used to start a car and the alternator keeps it going?

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW I thought that the battery was just used to start a car and the alternator keeps it going?

It does. Ive read that when the battey goes completely dead the Jeep loses its parameters that it had stored. It then defaults to pre-set settings until it learns again. Could just be BS, but our XJ did the same thing. Battery went dead and it was really hard to keep it idling till we drove it. Was fine after that and the battery lasted many more years.

If theres no battery(bad battery) I guess the alternator has a hard time keeping the correct voltage or something causing all sorts of weird stuff to happen.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A dead or dying battery will put a larger current draw on the alternator as it tries to charge it, the system voltage drops due to the larger current draw, and then everything acts really weird. Its been documented on here a few times.

Best thing you can do if you ever get into this situation again, get a battery charger, put it on, let it charge the battery then start. Better than jump starting and less chance of doing any damage.

Latest posts

Members online