Wonderful Fuel Mileage to Myrtle Beach, SC..................

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the Liberty Limited 4x4 CRD proved itself very fuel efficient on the way to and from Myrtle Beach, SC this year (we've always taken my 2003 RAM 2500, but opted to take the Liberty CRD this year).

On our way back, the EVIC showed 30.2 mpg which translated to a hand-calculated 29.8 mpg......just 3.8 mpg better than the 26 mpg the window sticker said it should get. \:D/ =P~ This is also averaging 75---78+ mph w/air conditioning and a full load of luggage, two adults, and one five year old.

On the way down, we were held up in a 5 hour accident for 2 hours, and that tank still averaged 23.1 mpg during the 2 hour 10 mile stop & go back up.

Mileage around home with Becky at the wheel typically has been in the low to mid 24's the larger percent of the time, with upper 23's a very small percent of the time......still not bad at all for this size SUV.

You must be registered for see images

The little Italian 4 cylinder TurboDiesel seems to be happiest at around 2300---2400 rpm. The peak torque is made at 1800 rpm, but it's sweet spot is 500----600 rpm above that (but that's my $0.02) .

The five speed automatic doesn't hit 5th w/lockup until about 58--59 mph, so maybe that explains the mediocre mileage around home and the better mpg on the interstate.

I personally like the looks and the styling of the Liberty, but they're still almost brick-like when it comes to aerodynamics. It's still a fun, stable vehicle on curvy country roads and at interstate speeds.

The Liberty Limited 4x4 had 7 quarts of fresh Rotella-T 5W40, a new MOPAR oil filter, and a new MOPAR fuel filter, along with airing up the P235/70R16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO's to 40 psi (44 psi is the max inflation pressure).

You must be registered for see images

Greg

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Myrtle

I went a couple of years ago and averaged 24 MPG on the way dwon and 22 MPG on the way back up in my gasser.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Someday...

mine will get 30MPG.

Personally I think the EVIC is more accurate than hand/brain calculation, but that's just me.

The point where the torque and HP meet is about 2300 to 2400RPM

2003KJ

Reaction score
nice write up!!...looks more like about 3 or 4 products reviews jumbled together, but still, nice!...lol.

Just out of curiosity, how did you travel down to S.C.....meaning what highways. Just curious where you were in NC.

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Just out of curiosity, how did you travel down to S.C.....meaning what highways. Just curious where you were in NC.

We picked up I-75 South at London, KY to Knoxville, TN; I-640 East to I-40 East from Knoxville, TN to toward Asheville, NC; I-26 East to I-20 East; US 76 >> SC 576; then US 501 South.

The Carolinas are beautiful; I'd love to see some of North Carolina in a beautiful snow covered winter.

And Marlon_JBT......your mileage will improve after a good break-in; could be as much as 15k---20k miles or more though. Hang in there !

Greg

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I'm being patient, but it's hard! (although it also took several thousand miles for my 3.7L to officially break in too...)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, very very good, actually we shouldn't be shocked, since DC first advertised KJ CRD as 500 miles to a tank..! Very nice.. :)

2003KJ

Reaction score
Beautiful snow covered winter?? whats that!? Havent seen snow in my part in over 2 years...and we usually get a fair ammount each year....ohh wait thats right, I have a Jeep now, so that means NO snow...LOL.

This year i'd like to get up to the mountains after a good storm up there and check out the views.

dnm45227

Reaction score
The average we saw when we went to Myrtle Beach on our '05 CRD with about 1k on it was 29.?. Just couldn't make it to the 30mpg.

All in all, we are seeing dramatic savings in fuel. My wife used to fill up 3x a week and has dropped to 2x since going from the '05 Renegade to '05 CRD. At that rate it will negate the increase in the payment from trading in the gas '02.