Wish me luck!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
yikes! How many hours do you have your 1st semester?

Im actually a sofemore. I went to a local college to catch up on my math, which hopefully I did. I took 15 hours my first two semesters and 14 this semester. I wanted to take it easy my first semester away, Ill probably take 15 or 16 next semester. 8-[

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Im taking Pre-engineering here, than Ill go to the University of Kentucky to take the Civil Engineering program. Its a 3-2 program. 3 years here then 2 at UK. Hopefully I can get it done sooner than that by taking some summer classes. O:)

Edit: Classes start tomorrow! Gosh Im worried to death.

I have Technical graphing tomorrow, Calulus 1 and chemistry tuesday, technical graphing again and Micro Economics (once a week) Wednesday, Calculus and chemistry Thursday, then calculus again friday.

AHHHHH!!! confused2.gif

College is easy man. You will do just fine. I graduated with an engineering degree and said I was done with school forever. Now, I'm here at graduate school.

Anyways, if you need some help in anything let me know. Not sure what I could do over the web, but I don't mind trying.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeepster, nice getting to know you! We both bought our nearly matching KJ's at the same time you may recall. Yes, be sure to study hard, and keep your debt down so it's not too much of a birden after school (I learned that one!).

Good luck in college, and it's a good place to find a wife. (Cheers)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
Jeepster, nice getting to know you! We both bought our nearly matching KJ's at the same time you may recall. Yes, be sure to study hard, and keep your debt down so it's not too much of a birden after school (I learned that one!).

Gosh I know! I cant wait to find some girls!! \:D/ I mean, its not that hard to find some. I can walk down the sidewalk and pass about 30, but most of them smoke and are not my type. Many girls are not my type, but we wont get into that. :-({|=

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm serious as it's a good place to find a wife. If you wait too long, then you start dating chicks with baggage, as the good ones are taken. I started dating my wife when she as in college, and I was out. Lucky me! (biggrin)

2003KJ

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
grogiefrog said:

Gosh I know! I cant wait to find some girls!! \:D/ I mean, its not that hard to find some. I can walk down the sidewalk and pass about 30, but most of them smoke and are not my type. Many girls are not my type, but we wont get into that. :-({|=

It's kinda getting off topic but dude, take your time with the girls...they just make college that more complicated. I didn't find the right one for me till last thanksgiving...and i'm 26.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I'm honestly not even looking. It's not worth it right now anyway.

... although there are some quite good looking women on campus. \:D/

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EKU

My sister and one of my cousins graduated from there and still lives in the area. I went to Virginia Tech in the Engineering program, so if you need any advice or let, don't hesitate to ask. I made it 3 years then decided I didn't want to be an engineer, I preferred woring outside to working a desk job. So I switched to East Tennessee State to the Environmental Health department. My dad is a Civil Engineer and makes a lot more money as an Environmental consultant, be he travels a lot (drives over 75,000 miles a year) I just finished a civil engineering internship with a city, I didn't like the job, but the pay checks were nice. I worked for a city with around 60,000-80,000 people, made $15.50 an hour and worked 40 hour weeks. It was just an 8 week position, but if it would have been permanent, that works out to $25,000 a year before taxes.

Taking classes at the community college was brilliant. They're cheaper, they're easier, and the count just the same. I wish I would have been told that. If you can force yourself, summer classes are generally easier as well. There usually isn't time to cover all the material, an most large projects (i.e. papers) that are required during the regular school year get dropped.

You do come across the occassional A-hole professor (they all have egos, some more than others). I use www.ratemyprofessors.com to make my schedule. Most of the reviews are accurate, you have to weed out the few from students who just didn't try. At VT I was never advised on which professor to take, and didn't realize how big a difference it could make. I made a D- in a history class, and never worked so hard in my life to pass a class (the professor bragged about his 80% fail rate...it was an elective!!!) and retook it with a different professor. The second time around all I did was show up on test days and I made an A (they don't give A+'s).

You need to make sure that the college of engineering (or what ever they call it there) within EKU has their accreditation, or that degree won't mean jack.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do I have this right VTNomad, your dad is a civil engineer and makes more money as an Environmental consultant? Can you elaborate on the Environmental consultant?

I had cal 1 today, and I think its going to be alittle rough getting started. I cant even figure out how to do the crap we did the first day! He said he spends 30mins at the first of each class going over just homework, which he doesnt take up. That one thing I love about my past teachers and now this one. They tell you what to do in the book as homework. You can choose to do it or not. I always do it b/c thats basically what will be on the test and if I cannot figure it out, I just get him to do it next class. \:D/

My tech teacher is awesome! I wish all my teachers made class as fun as him. My chem teacher is some foreign person thats hard to understand, and that class will probably suck something awful. I dont have ECO will tomorrow night, but Ive heard hes cool.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Environmental consultant

Basically he does long term groundwater remediation of contaminated sites. Most of his work involves petroleum (gas, diesel, jet fuel) tanker spills. He digs up the soil, puts a system in the ground that cleans the groundwater. He's cleaned up milk, beer, wine (they're all organic nutrients, algae feeds on them, explodes in population, depletes the oxygen in the water and kills the fish), and sandblasted whitewash off of a sandstone cliff. They also own a vacuum truck that they use to clean out water filters at Pepsi plants and municipal drinking water supplies.

They also take a lot of samples (soil & water), install monitoring wells, and do some surveying.

His company is just basically 3 guys, my dad the engineer, a geologist and a heavy equipment operator. They hire laborers as needed, usually local guys. I've been working for him between classes (i.e. summer and winter breaks) for 10 years.

I had class with a guy in the EH (do not confuse with the hippie tree hugging major, environmental studies) program at EKU, he transferred down here for 1 semester to be closer to his sick mom. His name was Cyrus...can't remember his last name.

Class loads are similar, not as much math in EH, but more science (biology, organic chemistry) and several medical classes (anatomy, physiology).

I'm going into my 7th year (that includes the two and a half years I took off, a semester here and there) and still have 3 semesters left. But I'm going to finish with around 160 credits (need 120 to graduate) and a bunch of minors: chemistry, biology, mathematics, and geology.

My only complaint about EH its size. It's such a small program most of the classes come up only once a year, or sometimes once every two years. I think it's on of the harder majors out there, but I really enjoy the variety it offers. The job market is secure (it's secure for engineers too) and the money is good.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
jeepjeepster said:
grogiefrog said:

It's kinda getting off topic but dude, take your time with the girls...they just make college that more complicated. I didn't find the right one for me till last thanksgiving...and i'm 26.

Tim, I can see your point, as marriage for one is a big deal and no need to rush it. My wife was still in college when I met her, and I was out. We didn't get engaged until about two years after she graduated. I'm four years older, btw. But you find them nice and young still while in college... (biggrin)