Wiring Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KevenM

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of research on these forums, so first, I have to say thanks to everyone for making this a fantastic resource for Liberty owners.

So Thank You.

I recently purchased a Sony/Crutchfield CD player for my wife's 2006 Liberty. It's a Sony CDX-GT420U. I got as far as removing the main coverplate for the existing stereo, pulling it out, then unplugging the harness and the antenna.

I prayed that the harness would fit perfectly, but it's not even close, so at this piont (I'm assuming) I have to cut the Liberty harness out, then reconnect the wires to the harness supplied with the Sony stereo. I've figured out the speaker cabling and the polarity, but I'm stuck with these remaining wires:

Sony Stereo:
Blue/White Striped (AMP REM)
Black with C shaped End and a Negative Polarity icon (instr. say it's a Black Ground)
Blue (ANT REM)
Red with a Positive Polarity Icon (instr. say "To the +12V power terminal which is energized in the accessory position of the ignition switch")
Yellow with a Positive Polarity Icon (instr. say "To the +12V power terminal which is energized at all times)

Liberty Wires Remaining:
Red - Radio Constant 12V+
Pink/Yellow - Radio Ignition Switched 12V+
Black/Light Green - Radio Ground Wire
Orange/Brown - Radio Illumination Dimmer
These wire descriptions are provided by ModifiedLife.com

Any help in how to connect these remaining wires would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Keven

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Keven, welcome to Jeep KJ country!

My two cents:

Dont ever cut wires in the vehicle. Crutchfield should have provided you with an adapter that connects to the jeep. You just connect (preferably use solder and heat shrink) the wires from your sony harness to the one Crutchfeld sent. If you didnt get one, or if you got the wrong adapter, go back and get the right one. Dont cut wires.

Oh, not sure I mentioned: Dont cut wires.

You must be registered for see images attach

KevenM

Reaction score
Crutchfield didn't supply me with the harness to adapt to the Liberty harness, but I did manage to purchase one - so no need to cut any wires. All I need to figure out are those wires I mentioned in my first thread.

Thanks,

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of research on these forums, so first, I have to say thanks to everyone for making this a fantastic resource for Liberty owners.

So Thank You.

I recently purchased a Sony/Crutchfield CD player for my wife's 2006 Liberty. It's a Sony CDX-GT420U. I got as far as removing the main coverplate for the existing stereo, pulling it out, then unplugging the harness and the antenna.

I prayed that the harness would fit perfectly, but it's not even close, so at this piont (I'm assuming) I have to cut the Liberty harness out, then reconnect the wires to the harness supplied with the Sony stereo. I've figured out the speaker cabling and the polarity, but I'm stuck with these remaining wires:

Sony Stereo:
Blue/White Striped (AMP REM)
Black with C shaped End and a Negative Polarity icon (instr. say it's a Black Ground)
Blue (ANT REM)
Red with a Positive Polarity Icon (instr. say "To the +12V power terminal which is energized in the accessory position of the ignition switch")
Yellow with a Positive Polarity Icon (instr. say "To the +12V power terminal which is energized at all times)

Liberty Wires Remaining:
Red - Radio Constant 12V+
Pink/Yellow - Radio Ignition Switched 12V+
Black/Light Green - Radio Ground Wire
Orange/Brown - Radio Illumination Dimmer
These wire descriptions are provided by ModifiedLife.com

Any help in how to connect these remaining wires would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Keven
Looking at the wiring diagram it looks like you need to connect it as follows:

Sony Jeep
Red (+) ------------ Pink/Yellow (switched 12v +)
Yellow (+) --------- Red (constant 12v +)

The black with spade (c-shaped) connector can attach to any good ground location in the cabin, there should be a bolt or screw into a metal frame member behind the radio console that will work. Unless you have an amp or a power antenna the other wires can stay loose, might wrap the ends with some electrical tape or heat-shrink to keep them from contacting something. The black/lite green wire on the KJ looks to be more involved with the speaker grounds than the radio power system, and the orange/brown wire ties the radio illumination in with the instrument clster lights for dimming.

Hope this helps.

KevenM

Reaction score
Thank you for the help. It all worked out and the system sounds great! Thanks everyone!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only reason crutchfield wouldn't provide the harness is probably because you did not specify your vehicle. But if you got the frame/filler pieces around the faceplate for your Liberty, it is odd they would not include the harness.

Anyway, good to hear that it works fine, the only problem I had with these installations are when I forgot to wire the AMP to the built in amps inside the doors.

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wiring kit for my 02 was less than $20. Had bestbuy install the headunit. I recommend not cutting the factory harness as you may; some day want to reinstall a factory stereo. (like the nav system) and will be really sad that you chopped on those wires. Its such a clean install when you get the stereo kit. The wires are all normal colors on the harness, (red: power, yellow: memory, ect.)