Winter Tire Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jetescamilla

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2012 4x4 Liberty KK. Also, In the middle of January we are going to be moving from Arizona to Alaska. Yeah, crazy I know. Let me state that I've driven in snow before on ski trips, a little when we live in Seattle, and while on a work trip to Fairbanks in the middle of winter. But I've never been in an environment where I was in snow for the long haul or in my own vehicle.

I'm fairly sure the current tires are all season, I'll check next time I go out, but are winter tires really necessary with an all wheel drive vehicle? Is the traction on snow and ice that much better? Sorry for the noob type questions, but I am honestly clueless as I've never had to personally account for extreme cold weather. Tire recommendations would also be great.

Thanks

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd check what the locals are using.
I have a set of Firestone Winterforce tires for winter only use. They are stud able.
225-75-16 uv are what I have, I don't do bigger than stock!

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=125

winter tires tend to have sipes and are typically a softer compound your going to want when temps drop.

The mountain snow flake symbol will get you though the majority of winter road conditions you would encounter.

All seasons with AWD isn't going to be a happy winter. If your referring to your KK, you don't have AWD. As for which ones to buy:

225 75 16 goodyear duratracs are plenty aggressive for stock size. If their winter only, see if your allowed studs in Alaska. They are seasonally allowed in the majority of Canada.

If your looking for something less aggressive, their are tonnes of ice radials available in stock sizes.

jetescamilla

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'll be checking the tire prices up there once we move. I've spoken to some of my future coworkers and they said hardly anyone gets their tires studed unless they live out a ways. We will be living in the well populated area of Juneau and roads will be well maintained.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
That, and you'll be living coastal... the snow shouldn't be "as bad."

Josh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run firestone winterforce in the winter and my KJ is unstopable. Almost overkill. I sould have gone with duratracs and kept them on all year round. But at the time the Jeep was my wifes daily driver and winter tires was a good excuse to get a set of alloys for the warmer months :) Then again, Michigan is not Alaska.

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Yokohama's and am extremely happy. Previous 2 sets that will remain unnamed were crap on snow.

Got these for decent on road and so-so off road and other than deep mud they have performed way over my expectations.