Will a larger tire fit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If someone lifts their KK and puts larger tires on, will they have the ability to mount the larger tire where the current spare is underneath? Or will they be forced to:

A.) Put the tire on the roof (what happens if you have the freedom top?)
B.) Buy a new rear bumper with tire carrier

This is similar to the Cherokee days.......

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the big reasons I got a KJ instead of waiting for a KK ;)

IMHO, spare tires under the car are stupid. I know many vehicles do this, but c'mon - how often does anyone get a flat tire on clean gound on a 70* sunny day? I don't want to have to dig under the car!

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2. The one time I tried to change the spare on my buddy's truck in college, the bolts on the tire bracket were so rusted that we had to literally cut the bracket out with a hacksaw to get at the spare. It was a massive PITA and then of course, buddy needed new mounting bolts. I'm a spare-on-the-bumper fan for sure, especially if you drive anywhere rugged where you might blow a tire.

nchorselover55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just stick with the original spare? Without lockers, you can use the smaller tire to get you off the trial and to a shop, to repair the tire or get a replacement.