Why I hate..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Libby.. and it's for sale.. (great jeep)

at 10k miles.. they replaced the rear brake moan... calipers/pads/rotors
at every 5k miles I get new rims as the chrome overclad outer aluminum part gets oddly colored. (most likely when the tire meets the rim from the factory..) oh and a few rims replaced from the rear brakes sticking.. and they actually melted.. yup plastic overclad = junk.
at 19k miles the brakes are moaning... (back to dealer?) the rims 2 are bad. and now my recall items.. the LBJ (do I need to go back to the dealer again??)

Last recall the flash of the jeeps computer, at 4k miles.. wouldn't take the update software.. they initially thought it wouldn't upload since I had a radar detector.. (mind you this is a 5 star dealer) (hold on while I get my ladder and remove a star for them) so they replaced my computer, and put a nice sticker.. under the hood.. says USED computer installed at *** miles *** date.. made me feel warm and fuzzy to know I had a new jeep 2005 with 4k miles.. and they fixed it with a used part.. nice..

So I just want a car that doesn't need basic things replaced, I do understand items fail.. but LBJ? Brakes? didn't cars back what 50 years ago have these same basic items..? can we get it right?

So I'm off to a landrover, PLEASE GOD make it be good! I mean if I'm going to spend 40k on a SUV at least landrover has ben and jerrys in the dealership and courtesy vehicles better than a neon..

Someone want to buy a NICE jeep? has navigation (factory) to find your way back to the dealer! (Aeh)

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait, you're buying a Land Rover because you want a MORE reliable vehicle? Not meaning to be rude, but I'll ever heard about those is reliability issues. Although it's understandable that your next vehicle wont be a Jeep (mine wont be either) I would do a lot of research and such on consumer reports. Not to mention LR is Ford.....

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No doubt Landrover is among the worst..if not THE worst in reliability.

Check this out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover#Quality_problems

A quote from that page

US J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Survey for 2005 (published 8th July 2005) places the Land Rover marque last (Kia second last). This is the fourth year that it has been in the last or second to last place in the survey. This study was based on responses from more than 55,000 US based original owners of 2000 model year cars and light trucks at three years of ownership. [2] In 2004, it narrowly dethroned Kia, as the least reliable nameplate, but swapped places in 2005. (Kia last, Land Rover 2nd last).

Landrover Used to make a real slick vehicle, but that is long gone, and seems to get worse all the time.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeger said:
No doubt Landrover is among the worst..if not THE worst in reliability.

Check this out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover#Quality_problems

A quote from that page

US J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Survey for 2005 (published 8th July 2005) places the Land Rover marque last (Kia second last). This is the fourth year that it has been in the last or second to last place in the survey. This study was based on responses from more than 55,000 US based original owners of 2000 model year cars and light trucks at three years of ownership. [2] In 2004, it narrowly dethroned Kia, as the least reliable nameplate, but swapped places in 2005. (Kia last, Land Rover 2nd last).

Landrover Used to make a real slick vehicle, but that is long gone, and seems to get worse all the time.

To me, the only good LR they still make is the Range Rover. If I'm not mistaken, those were codesigned by BMW as well. Plus, you'd better be getting a good vehicle for $70K.

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck might as well go with a MB G500 if youre gonna spend that much.

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude,
Doesn't take much to get under you bonnet. The Jeep Liberty if you look at the reports has been a very reliable vehicle over it's history. Cold moaning of the rear brakes while backing has been an intermittent problem. They fixed your reflash problem with a like unit, you had driven the rig for 4000 miles, that means it's a used rig right. In electronics if something is going to fail, it usually happens in the first days to say 90 days out. If you get past that you got a relible part. The LBJ have been a problem since day one this is the second recall on them. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to do. There is an aftermarket fix from MOOG, but than you'd have get under the rig to grease the things. You bought an SUV, trucks and SUV take more attention than cars. Think you have problems now you should have been around in the old days of split lever transfer cases, locking hubs, split rims and tube tires, vacuum wipers, etc. Aluminum with chrome cladding has always been a problem, they are dissimilar metals. The correct chroming process is steel, copper clad, nickel clad than chrome on top. No one want to pay for the correct process anymore, this rig as all products was built at a price point, you get what you pay for.

glaurick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not get a RAV4 (they are alot bigger now) if you hate your Jeep
Save some cash.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree about the LR idea. Spend your 40K on something other than that low end SUV. I wanted a Land Rover years ago, when they were worthy. The Range Rover is a nice vehicle though, cousin has one. Very smooth driving, dependable in the snow (Michigan weather) and no problems overall. Comes for a price though!!

I do hope you find something of your likings and I'm sad that the Jeep is making you move away from the brand. Just please do us a favor and go get something other than a new LR.... ](*,)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
get a toyota, or honda...... if you want very reliable cars..

I wouldn't mind an LR, what reliability are we talking about here? They look great, and maybe you want to lease them, for like 2 or 3 yrs, see how they work, you won't lose much. I love the shape of Range Rover Sport.

I wouldn't get a MB, no way, MB series are like fat men, and 4matic is a joke, especially if you are used to jeep's 4x4.

Anyway, you either should go very high end, or budget. Honestly, I wouldn't mind getting Honda Pilot, with all options they will run you about 35-40k.

Otherwise, consider cayenne or x5 or toureg. They are mostly worry free. :) Jeeps need constant care, for some reason.

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow that isnt good but maybe you just got one of the few that have some problems b/c i bought my Libery and am now at 44k and have not had a single problem at all on road or off road

so my next vehicle WILL definitely be a JEEP i will always buy a JEEP i have never had problems with a JEEP at all my old JEEP Cherokee and it had 241k w/o replacing anything but the basics

JEEPS have been the best thing for me sorry about your deal tho best of luck at find a better SUV than a JEEP O:)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, wait just a second... It seems like your upset about rust forming on your rear rotors which causes a noise? Do you understand that this is normal? Mine use to do it all the time for, ohh, the first 5 seconds that I braked after the jeep had sat over night.. \:D/ Then after the pads wore in, it stopped and has never done it again.

The reason it makes that noise is b/c the pads on the libby are ceramic. That means they brake really good and do not produce dust. O:)

Sounds to me like your just selling the jeep for the heck of it?

Brakes that rust and a dealership that doesnt know how to use a computer? :-s Yea, not a good reason to be upset. 8-[

Edit: My chrome clad peeled, I got new cragars. My Joint went bad, I replaced them MYSELF. You do not need to resort to the dealership, you can fix stuff your self ya know. O:)

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How odd that these few minor things have upset him so.
My brakes moaned, the dealership replaced them and didn't even blink. Not a hint of that since.
They replaced the LBJ's everytime I pointed at them.
And now you want a Rover. Have some self-respect and at least go get a FJ crusier. Or wait a year and trade in for the 08 Liberty or a Grand Cherokee, or the new 07 Wrangler. How about a Commander.

If you look into any vehicle you'll find a few serious or concernable items that could be "bad' down the road. Even on Toyota and Honda.
I mean, honestly, if the engineers who designed the Liberty, had the time to test it in every enviroment with the largest cross-section of people and the focus groups, the vehicle would have never made it to the street.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trodo, while you are right about almost everything, it is also a service issue.

Whenever I drop off my jeep at a dealer (so far 3 different ones after trying them numerous times) I pick it up dirtier, with gas gobbled, radio fiddled, seats changed, mirrors displaced... service writers are not professionals, they don't listen to you, and the same goes for the DC itself.. No public relations unless you are some company getting into bulk deal with DC for jeeps.

DC dealers just don't care, because you bought a domestic car, well deal with it! Japanese or foreign makers bust their ***** to keep customers happy, they call you for appointments, they offer free stuff, they take care of your vehicle.

That's also a big minus for jeep. Inability to have flexibility of a reliable dealer, or being able to just show up and get things done... and properly...

This might be different in countryside, or rural areas, but in big cities, it is worse. That's why I am not considering another jeep unless I can do basic mechanical stuff myself..

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin is right about the lack of caring by DC dealerships. we've been really happy with all the dealerships that we have bought out jeeps from. They even call us a few days later to make sure everything is going good with out new jeeps. Made me feel good that they actually cared enough to sit down and call us to see if were having any problems..

BUT, Ive spent the past two days cleaning the Grand Cherokee that we just got. Grease all over the steering wheel, all over the door panels, marks from dirty shoes on the kick panels.. What the heck do they do to get the inside of a NEW jeep so dirty? Its hard as heck to clean that light colored interior on that thing too! :-s

The engine was covered in dirt and dust.. They could of at least went over it and cleaned all the plastic.. :-s

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will get seriously burned by a Land Rover, don't even think about it. My brother went and leased a Range Rover in 2001, a $100,000.00 (CDN) vehicle, it was in the shop easily 1/3 of the time he had it. Piece of crap, but exceptionally comfortable when it is on the road, and all owners he spoke to agreed, regardless of model. He kept it until the lease was up, got a Mercedes M. Flawless. Boring, but trouble-free.

For the money, check out the FJ by Toyota.

I love my KJ though the squeaky front brakes are annoying.

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool...

I agree about the LR being not perfect.. and I'm not totally hating the Libby.. just the brakes are annoying.. this will be the second set.. and no it's not rust build up.. 'google jeep liberty rear brake moan' and you will see.. and when you back up and apply brakes.. clunk clunk clunk...

I want a decent SUV.. I looked at Treg.. but VW dealers who I spoke with gave me honest opinions .. said T reg sales have died. I have a new GTI I use in summer so I need a winter car.

I had a rubicon. sold it for the libby. not really feeling the DC thing anymore..

I'll keep shopping.. anyone have any ideas?

Dealer called LR3 is avail with 4.0 jag engine..V6 maybe better mileage?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
A total of 4 Libertys have touched my driveway.

2 of them mine, one my sister's, the other a rental.

Not *one* of them had the brake moan issue.

I'd be willing to ALSO say that it is an isolated issue.

Or just forum syndrome.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
A total of 4 Libertys have touched my driveway.

2 of them mine, one my sister's, the other a rental.

Not *one* of them had the brake moan issue.

I'd be willing to ALSO say that it is an isolated issue.

Or just forum syndrome.

Its been more than said that your complaints are in fact normal.

For the record, I used to have the rear brake moan issue...then it stopped. No big deal though.

Best of luck in your SUV hunt....i'd stay away from LR though....they're NOT what they used to be.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same with mine 2003KJ. Ive not heard it for along time now. O:) It use to do it every morning when i backed out of the driveway.