Why I Buy Jeep!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scarecrow

Reaction score
Just an interesting story I will never forget, thought ya'll would appreciate it.

So i'm about 12 years old......the family and i are on a vacation down on cape hatteras (outer banks, NC). We had a Grand Cherokee and a F-150 out on the sand for a day of fishing, swimming, etc. About halfway through the afternoon we spot these 3 kids (who we find out later are on their post-graduation senior beach week) driving a BRAND-NEW black cherokee sport. i'm talking chrome and leather baby!!! i'll never forget what happens next.

Now, my father and I have been fishing the outer banks since we were kids and i'll never forget him telling me....."be careful driving out here (when you are old enough), it's really easy to get stuck.....and never, ever drive in between a tide pool and the ocean. if you see water in the sand, odds are there is soft sand in between the two, cause that's where the water comes up to during high tide."

Well, guess where they drove....yup....and guess what happened....yup.....stuck like a stick in the mud. Well after a minute or two, every fisherman in a mile radius is checking out the scene, putting their two cents in. We rock the jeep...no luck.....try pulling with the f-150 and grand cherokee......no luck.

Unfortunately, time ran out for these poor kids......the tide came in. Over the next four hours we watch this jeep get bashed by waves, go under water, and bury itself in the sand. we had it tied to several vehicles to keep it from floating away. We all hang out well into the morning waiting for the tide to go back out, and when it does, there it is. Sand, silt and mud everywhere, buried at least 2-3 feet deep. We end up calling some towtrucks on one of those old bagged cell phones with the cord still attached (haha). It took two towtrucks, two hummers, a wrangler, grand cherokee, and the f-150, but we pulled that sucker free.

These kids have been panicking all day and night, and my mother has just been trying to keep them calm by feeding them, etc. This was DADDY'S jeep. I can't imagine how that phone call went.

We open the doors, get the water and mud out and the driver steps into the vehicle with the key.

IT STARTS!!!!! IT DRIVES AWAY OFF THE BEACH!!!!! IT'S A JEEP!!!!!

We kept in contact with those kids....they owed us $200 for a couple of hours worth of roaming charges (this was 1991 or so). Apparently, it ran rough on the way home, but after about 100-200 miles, there was a loud backfire, and sand and mud shot all out of the tailpipe and over the road. Drove find then. the last i heard, the jeep was still on the road, a couple of electrical fixes were necessary, but other then that, it was just pretty much taking a bath. No harm, no foul.

I'll never forget that day, and to this day, my mother is on her 6th jeep, my friend is on his 4th, my father on his 3rd, and i'm on my first. (2004 KJ Columbia Edition, Light Khaki.....Mud color) We own 4 all and all right now, and i'm not sure if some of us will ever go back!!!

Sorry for the length, thought someone might like to hear that story.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow................I'm surprised the Jeep started and then ran .....amazing

Dave

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, what a story! I figured the plugs would at least need to be pulled to let the water out. I guess where it was never running not water got into the engine. I cant believe that salt water didnt kill the electronics.

scarecrow

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, last time we talked to them it did have some electrical problems. dash never worked quite the same. engine wise though, never had a problem once all the gunk that was stuck in the exhaust came out. it was 13 years ago and i can picture it in my head like it just happened. if i hadn't seen it myself, i wouldnt have believed it. the only thing i can think of, is since it was off when water hit it, it never efficiantly sucked water into the intake. i guess as long as it's dry inside, and the ignition and coil packs didn't short out, no problems with startup.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Thannks! That is some story... And that is cool it started.

That is why I'll never take a nice vehicle near salt water. 8-[

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
scarecrow said:
Don't get me wrong, last time we talked to them it did have some electrical problems. dash never worked quite the same. engine wise though, never had a problem once all the gunk that was stuck in the exhaust came out. it was 13 years ago and i can picture it in my head like it just happened. if i hadn't seen it myself, i wouldnt have believed it. the only thing i can think of, is since it was off when water hit it, it never efficiantly sucked water into the intake. i guess as long as it's dry inside, and the ignition and coil packs didn't short out, no problems with startup.

It still amazes me it started. Those cherokees had a distributor cap and plug wires. I cant believe that it got wet and still started.