Why does the power steering pump scream in cold weather?

Discussion in 'KJ General Discussion' started by GitEmSteveDave, Feb 1, 2019.

1. ltd02

ltd02 Comfortably numb KJ Supporting Member

I do it without the engine running. Get it off the ground so it's easy to turn.

BTW what year is yours?

2. GitEmSteveDave

GitEmSteveDave Full Access Member

2003 Renegade

3. ltd02

I'm wondering if someone mixed in regular PS fluid with your ATF+4. They don't like each other and this would cause the whining you described. In 02 the KJs had amber PS fluid. Maybe a PO of yours assumed it needed just PS fluid and "oopsed" it. The PO of my 02 definitely mixed some ATF+4 in with the amber colored PS fluid.

4. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Running of course so the pump is running

5. ltd02

Duh, My bad. I turn it lock to lock 10 or so times with it not running when I'm bleeding air after line or pump work. If your just flushing then running like Tom said. Sorry, been a long day. :Insane:

6. JasonJ

JasonJ Full Access Member

And the pressure and return lines? Right? Or did you already replace those?

Same... this is how we did it at the dealership I worked with too.. works very well and does not require you to open or disconnect any lines. You'll go through a lot of new fluid that you're going to be mixing with the old, but that's the point.. remove as much crap fluid, mix in a bunch of new, dilute with old fluid, suck out.. do again, eventually you get mostly all new fluid in there.

7. dude1116

dude1116 Full Access Member

Yep. Pressure and return lines too.

8. JasonJ

JasonJ Full Access Member

Oh, well then I have no frickin' clue dude (pun intended).

Makes no sense then if the system has been replaced in total, and there are no leaks where air could get in. The pump must be cavitating for some reason.. hmmmmm

9. mrlavalamp

mrlavalamp Full Access Member

New pumps (not reman) are the way to go, not sure which you have but I haven't had good luck with remans lately. Usually take the reman back and slap a new in if I can.

Echoing Jason, if everything has been replaced and air bled, there must be something wrong with your pump if it is still whining.

In recent years, remanns seem to be slipping in quality. It used to be the way to go, but I think too much price competition forces them to cut corners.

Some things new is just prohibitively expensive in comparison to reman, but others (power steering, starter, alternator) it really doesn't make much sense to save the $40 or $60 or so. I guess this "line" is in a different place for everyone though and it comes back to how valuable your time is vs. what resources you have available.

If all it is doing is whining a little, maybe it is just something to live with until it gets worse enough you cant or that it fails (run to fail isn't great, but for some of us it is the only logical option).

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019