why does my % engine load seem to be creeping up over time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsjjamessiler

Reaction score
So over the past few weeks I've been watching my ultra gauge, it supposedly tells me percent engine load, I was watching because the dreaded 2-3 upshift has gotten bad again, the % engine load has been creeping up, before the GDE tune it sat at 12-14% at a stop sign in gear after the tune it rose to about 16-18% but stayed steady until a couple weeks ago, when the transmission started it's rough shift nonsense again it has steadsteadily but slowly creeper up till it is now at the 28-32% range and before it warms up as high as 45% the shift hasn't gotten any worse or better in the last one week but the load level has continued to rise, she drives and runs fine (other than the occasional unpleasant shift) and while driving %engine load is normal around 25% in 1st 2nd 2nd prime 3rd and 4th and on hills as high as 37% and in 4th or 5th locked up around 16-25% engine tempurature is normal boost pressure is normal trans temp is normal oil temp is normal oil pressure is normal, and idle is still dead on the money 760rpm constantconstantly and reliably, I do have an upgraded tc currently the euro spec moose one and I do have the GDE hot tune and eco trans tune, I believe my tensioner is going out as I do also have the engine squeal, but I was wondering if anyone knows why or has any explaination for the rise in %engine load at a stop in gear, also out if gear, load level seems completely normal at 10-12% any help will be appreciated greatly.

gmctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you resolved this symptom?

Also, try a little standard english grammar punctuation - would help immensely................

Last edited:

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

MAKER OF CRD SERVICEABLE THERMOSTAT ASSEMBLIES
Reaction score
Have you resolved this symptom?

Also, try a little standard english grammer punctuation - would help immensely................

I agree with gmctd... you need to work on your English grammar in order for us to understand you clearly.

I think I may be able to help you if you still have this problem. Please contact me via e-mail, and provide your telephone number so I can call you.

I suspect that your transmission is at fault here, although I would also like to know more about this ultra gauge you speak of. The 545RFE transmission for the Liberty CRD is borrowed from the Dodge half ton pickups, and I suspect that Chrysler simply took these transmissions right from the pickup truck assembly line and put them in the Liberty CRDs. I believe those transmissions set aside for the CRD should have been re-designed for the different torque curve of the 4 cylinder diesel engine, instead of the torque curve of the Hemi V-8.

gmctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with gmctd... you need to work on your English grammar in order for us to understand you clearly.

I think I may be able to help you if you still have this problem. Please contact me via e-mail, and provide your telephone number so I can call you.

I suspect that your transmission is at fault here, although I would also like to know more about this ultra gauge you speak of. The 545RFE transmission for the Liberty CRD is borrowed from the Dodge half ton pickups, and I suspect that Chrysler simply took these transmissions right from the pickup truck assembly line and put them in the Liberty CRDs. I believe those transmissions set aside for the CRD should have been re-designed for the different torque curve of the 4 cylinder diesel engine, instead of the torque curve of the Hemi V-8.
FYI:
1. The KJ 545RFE is identical to the Hemi 545RFE, but with added 4wd transfer case and V6 TCC

2. All 545RFE function is controlled by the TCM, whether in the KJ, the Grand Cherokee, or the Hemi RAM 1500

3. The KJ, Hemi, and GC TCM hardware is identical, but with programming specific to the Diesel or the Hemi or the GC

4. This is why subbing the Hemi TCM for the KJ TCM results in improved shifting after the TCM "relearn" period - any TCM requires this "relearn" after installation in each drivetrain

5. Further, the Hemi TCC is more aggressive than the KJ\V6 TCC and is more suitable to the Diesel torque-band, resulting in lower "stall" and increased hydraulic hook-up for less slush\slip off the line

6. The Hemi TCC is the source for the SUNCOAST TCC upgrade for the Hemi RAM

Last edited:

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

MAKER OF CRD SERVICEABLE THERMOSTAT ASSEMBLIES
Reaction score
FYI:
1. The KJ 545RFE is identical to the Hemi 545RFE, but with added 4wd transfer case and V6 TCC

2. All 545RFE function is controlled by the TCM, whether in the KJ, the Grand Cherokee, or the Hemi RAM 1500

3. The KJ, Hemi, and GC TCM hardware is identical, but with programming specific to the Diesel or the Hemi or the GC

4. This is why subbing the Hemi TCM for the KJ TCM results in improved shifting after the TCM "relearn" period - any TCM requires this "relearn" after installation in each drivetrain

5. Further, the Hemi TCC is more aggressive than the KJ\V6 TCC and is more suitable to the Diesel torque-band, resulting in lower "stall" and increased hydraulic hook-up for less slush\slip off the line

6. The Hemi TCC is the source for the SUNCOAST TCC upgrade for the Hemi RAM

Thank you, gmctd... any chance we can talk? I wasn't seeing responses to this thread, and so I simply gave it my "best guess".

I really want to know more about this, because I myself feel that the transmission in the CRD is not efficiently transferring the power to the ground. I get the clear feeling that the transmission is somehow holding back while I am driving one of my CRDs. Please e-mail me with your telephone number and a convenient time of the day or evening to talk.

Best regards,