Why did you buy your KK?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeeptarian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my brand new KK Limited Jet Edition earlier this year: to tow up to 5,000 lbs, to be able to drive on wet and dry pavement in 4WD at above-crawl speeds without tearing up my transfer case, etc (Selec Trac II), to do moderate offroading, to carry a moderate amount of cargo and to sleep two with the back seats down (cargo and sleeping not at same time!), to be able to install snow chains as needed (many Jeeps can't take snow chains!), to fit into today's cramped parking spaces and into my stuffed garage, to turn around easily on today's crowded streets, etc, etc, all affordably and with reasonable ride and quietude. I probably forget some other reasons.

How about you guys? Why did you buy yours?

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haul family and cargo. just bought a 2012 sport in addition to the 2006 sport.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I saw it sitting out in front of the dealership and I liked it.

... but I wanted that Salsa Red from the '02 KJs. Found one at another dealership, talked with them, they wanted too much $$$$ (Yes, THOUSANDS MORE!!!!) for the same exact optioned vehicle, left, went and bought the blue one at the other dealer. ;)

Last edited:

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a replacement for my two-door Ford Explorer that suddenly developed the dreaded "Rattle of Death" (4.0L Ford Owners should know this warning noise). I needed a 4-door, 4WD, and something with a good towing capacity and was pleasantly surprised with the 5K capacity offered by the '08 Liberty. I was actually looking hard at the Durango, but oddly enough, could not comforably fit in the driver's seat (I'm 6'5" tall). I fit amazingly in the Jeep and never looked back. It's been great for towing (3800 or so is my max right now, but I pulled it over the Rockies, so I didn't want to toe the line too closely). Just the other day I loaded 700+ lbs of bricks into my Jeep and barely noticed the difference. Still a great vehicle!

Jeeptarian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I didn't know, e.g., that you could LIFT a KK until I saw that done/shone on this site! I'm pretty amazed at what I've seen done to KKs here.

nchorselover55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I needed something that could handle the weight of an electric wheelchair and lift on the hitch and could be towed 4 down behind the motorhome... our 2008 has performed flawlessly for 99k miles.

Jeeptarian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I needed something that could handle the weight of an electric wheelchair and lift on the hitch and could be towed 4 down behind the motorhome... our 2008 has performed flawlessly for 99k miles.

It usually takes a bigger rig than the length of a Liberty to handle the tongue weight requirement of a powered wheelchair and lift! That's a great capability to have in such a compact space! And to have the proper "towed neutral" to boot!