Scan Tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good scan tool.

I have a Innovo 3100 that can read codes. And reset, etc. However it is not "bi directional" which means that it cannot run checks on various components. I'd like one that can do that.

I'd also like it to have diagnostic capabilities. That is, tell me what'[s wrong with something.

I'd also like it to be able to tell me about, and diagnose the TPMS and sensors.

And also be able to program key fobs and maybe door modules.

That's a lot to ask but let's go back to the very early days of technology. 2008 In that year I bought such a tool for my motorcycle. It plugs into the canbus port on the bike and does those things. It is used with a laptop or your phone. But they only work on BMW motorcycles.

I most recently used it on the bike's TPMS. The sensors were 12 years old, so I figured I was putting new tires I ought to put new sensors which I did. The device I had allowed me to program into the computer on the bike, the new sensors. They work fine. I did have to use the $10 EL50448 wake up tool used on GM tire sensors first. That device takes the sensor out of a "shipping" dormant state.

Now I know the dealer can do this. Or a tire shop. Or the local shop. But to me the idea of a forum like this is diy. So ...

What is the lowest price I can get these functions for in a scanner that you may have experience with.

I can search the internet. And read the ads. But they are cryptic and don't give very extensive details. And try to cover up what they don't have on their scanner.

Reset is not diagnostic. Program is not diagnostic. They use a lot of confusing words.

I am seeing that there may be one under $300 or $400. I may have to just go with one and then see what it can do for me. I don't ever like to return anything. I like to know it's what I want before buying.

Any ideas?
Thanks
dc

The tool for the motorcycle was $300 in 2008. They are now $500. But have a lot more features today.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use an Autel for bi-directional communication

wasn’t cheap, but had a 2 yr software license before needing renewed.

shameful that we have to use these, but it ain’t points / condensers anymore.

it is an android based tablet. Around the same price as Harbor Freight.

the software was the difference for me.

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read a lot of posts on Lost Jeeps, I think and some mentioned using the Autel DS708 I think it was. They are/were as they are older and been outmoded, but were I think $1,100. I'm looking at some good ones around $400.00, which really is not cheap either.

But, I was thinking, if you add up the price I paid for all the tools I have, even going back to the old days when things were cheaper, I'm sure I have many thousands there.

And, as I say on the motorcycle I was able to save hundreds on dealer costs on one endeavor. Not to mention the many other features I was able to use to avert dealer costs.

Dadosix can you tell me your model number specifically?

I did read one post that said Launch or Autel were the best, that the Snap On was not good at all.

There is one other feature I want that will save me dealer money. Read auto transmission temperature. That will allow me to change the fluid without trying to get and put one of those aim at something thermometers at the transmission pan. But will tell me the running temperature in the pan, of the fluid.

Thanks
dc

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read a lot of posts on Lost Jeeps, I think and some mentioned using the Autel DS708 I think it was. They are/were as they are older and been outmoded, but were I think $1,100. I'm looking at some good ones around $400.00, which really is not cheap either.

But, I was thinking, if you add up the price I paid for all the tools I have, even going back to the old days when things were cheaper, I'm sure I have many thousands there.

And, as I say on the motorcycle I was able to save hundreds on dealer costs on one endeavor. Not to mention the many other features I was able to use to avert dealer costs.

Dadosix can you tell me your model number specifically?

I did read one post that said Launch or Autel were the best, that the Snap On was not good at all.

There is one other feature I want that will save me dealer money. Read auto transmission temperature. That will allow me to change the fluid without trying to get and put one of those aim at something thermometers at the transmission pan. But will tell me the running temperature in the pan, of the fluid.

Thanks
dc
Launch x431v - sorry I had it in mind was autel!

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dadosix

I have looked that one over. Mostly looks like it's going for about $899. Which is more than I wanted to spend. I'm looking at some of the Autel's for around $400. But which don't have full TPMS function.

dc

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dadosix

I have looked that one over. Mostly looks like it's going for about $899. Which is more than I wanted to spend. I'm looking at some of the Autel's for around $400. But which don't have full TPMS function.

dc
I bought this one specifically because it can write key codes (if the dang dealer would part with it) into the skim module.

also came in handy when working on my son’s cruze that had failed a/c. I could not command the compressor on old style due to the 3 lead sensors, but the launch walked right thru the mumbo jumbo to determine the clutch was shot. Cruze a/c does not have an available clutch kit, so a compressor swap was the fix.

i won’t just fire the parts cannon unless I know for sure. Gladly spend big and once for tools that help with the determination.

don’t forget to check your local pawn shops for tools. Got a nice torque wrench that way, and an oxy/acetylene torch.

thinking about what you said above, about ****** temp.... would one of the dongle plugs with software app work? Not sure if there is a list of pid codes available, but might work.
I have a monitor in the diesel truck that allows custom pids to be displayed. Plugs into the obd2 port

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine temp is just one of the minor functions that I want to see. I'm concerned about future use, so I don't think I'll spend $899 but around $400. At some point in time I just have to get one and then see what it can and can't do.

As to pawn shops I was going to head to one today to sell some things. Need more space for new stuff.

As to their tools, I suppose they may have some good stuff, but in electronics I suppose they may have some old stuff that would or could be major obsolete. These scan tools have to be rather up to date to be worthwhile. And newer come with many new features.

I think key codes and basic tpms is cheap stuff. The complete tpms is higher end, in terms of programming the sensors. Just activating or waking them up is low end.

I have seen those new blue tooth to the telephone, one is FixD, I think. I think any scanner with live data will show transmission temp. So all I need to look for there is live data capability.

Anyway, thanks for your responses. Eventually I just have to get one and see what it can do.
dc

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have and used to great success the Autel Ap200 for 62 BUCKS on Amazon. It does TPMS, oil, bi-directional. I have programmed new keys. Best 62 bucks I've spent. It gives you one advanced vehicle software for free lifetime subscription. Others are 25 bucks a year. I've used it so much, I paid for Ford, Chevy, and Toyota also. I have another post on how to retrieve the pin code for free on the KK liberty only.

Sipafz

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good scan tool.

I have a Innovo 3100 that can read codes. And reset, etc. However it is not "bi directional" which means that it cannot run checks on various components. I'd like one that can do that.

I'd also like it to have diagnostic capabilities. That is, tell me what'[s wrong with something.

I'd also like it to be able to tell me about, and diagnose the TPMS and sensors.

And also be able to program key fobs and maybe door modules.

That's a lot to ask but let's go back to the very early days of technology. 2008 In that year I bought such a tool for my motorcycle. It plugs into the canbus port on the bike and does those things. It is used with a laptop or your phone. But they only work on BMW motorcycles.

I most recently used it on the bike's TPMS. The sensors were 12 years old, so I figured I was putting new tires I ought to put new sensors which I did. The device I had allowed me to program into the computer on the bike, the new sensors. They work fine. I did have to use the $10 EL50448 wake up tool used on GM tire sensors first. That device takes the sensor out of a "shipping" dormant state.

Now I know the dealer can do this. Or a tire shop. Or the local shop. But to me the idea of a forum like this is diy. So ...

What is the lowest price I can get these functions for in a scanner that you may have experience with.

I can search the internet. And read the ads. But they are cryptic and don't give very extensive details. And try to cover up what they don't have on their scanner.

Reset is not diagnostic. Program is not diagnostic. They use a lot of confusing words.

I am seeing that there may be one under $300 or $400. I may have to just go with one and then see what it can do for me. I don't ever like to return anything. I like to know it's what I want before buying.

Any ideas?
Thanks
dc

The tool for the motorcycle was $300 in 2008. They are now $500. But have a lot more features today.

If you’re still looking, take a look at OBD JScan app. I’ve been a user for years and it works well with our 2011 KK and 2016 JKU. The app requires a wireless OBD2 adapter and $21 to register a single VIN. It will scan the ECU and System Modules for DTC’s, allow module testing and show live data pids. You can also program/modify numerous adaptations. On the KK, I was able to enable the backup camera function with the 430 radio and choose a DRL scheme. I also use a Autel 519 which is good for quickly getting codes, live data and component testing but doesn’t have any programming capability.

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I found is that many of the devices say they are bi directional, but it turns out only for some very few cars. And some say program tpms and key fobs, but again only for a very limited number of cars. One was honest in one place and said key fobs but only certain Asian cars. And you know that ain't Jeep.

I already have an Innova 3100 which can do all the scans for codes, etc., but no bi directional or key fobs or tpms.

I got but have not yet used the Autel Maxicom MK808. I'll try it and see what it can do.
dc

Thanks for the replies. Always good to have some other ideas.

Oahu KJ

Reaction score
If you’re still looking, take a look at OBD JScan app. I’ve been a user for years and it works well with our 2011 KK and 2016 JKU. The app requires a wireless OBD2 adapter and $21 to register a single VIN. It will scan the ECU and System Modules for DTC’s, allow module testing and show live data pids. You can also program/modify numerous adaptations. On the KK, I was able to enable the backup camera function with the 430 radio and choose a DRL scheme. I also use a Autel 519 which is good for quickly getting codes, live data and component testing but doesn’t have any programming capability.
Does the OBD JScan work with the KJ? I have a 2004 giving me issues with what I suspect is either fuel or spark timing. Stalls intermittently and sometimes not at all.
thanks,
Kevin

Sipafz

Reaction score
Does the OBD JScan work with the KJ? I have a 2004 giving me issues with what I suspect is either fuel or spark timing. Stalls intermittently and sometimes not at all.
thanks,
Kevin
Unfortunately, JScan doesn’t support the KJ.

Oahu KJ

Reaction score
From what I can tell from their website, Autel's AP200 looks like it will work with the KJ. My concern lies with troubleshooting the fuel and ignition systems along with all the sensors that effect the timing of above. Live data would be great. If anyone here has experience or input on this product in regards to troubleshooting these systems please share. I'm all about figuring out what the **** is going on with my libby before playing wack a mole. THANKS!
Kevin