Why Did The Rear Bumpers Get Discontinued?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why the Jeep Liberty aftermarket rear bumpers have all been discontinued? as im sure you all know, it is impossible to get a custom rear bumper unless fabricating it on your own. Ive thought to myself that the reasoning behind discontinuing the aftermarket rear bumpers is due to the gas tank on the KJ, and safety reasons behind that, but at the same time isnt that what a skidplate would render to not be an issue? id love to hear your thoughts on why the Liberty rear bumpers are non existent anymore, I dont know why, and its ******* me off. I work at a fabrication shop so worst comes to worst I make my own but id like to find an easy alternative that all KJ lovers can hop on too, but to overcome that I gatta know WHY no one else makes them anymore!!:help: also do you think an XJ rear bumber could be modified to fit a KJ considering it is also a unibody design, all thought would be greatly appreciated!!:gr_grin:

angelis_digital

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't KNOW but I would say the age of the vehicle has something to do with it. Supply and Demand. There just aren't a lot of us.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Liberty is just an everyday vehicle to most. There are ton around me. I have the only lifted one here that I know of or seen, out of the 8-12 I see on the road everyday.

Not enough demand for aftermarket bumpers. Yes. there are quite few who would like them, but not many that would buy them. I've seen some that look nice and I would like to have, but I wouldn't pay $800+ for it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why the Jeep Liberty aftermarket rear bumpers have all been discontinued? as im sure you all know, it is impossible to get a custom rear bumper unless fabricating it on your own. Ive thought to myself that the reasoning behind discontinuing the aftermarket rear bumpers is due to the gas tank on the KJ, and safety reasons behind that, but at the same time isnt that what a skidplate would render to not be an issue? id love to hear your thoughts on why the Liberty rear bumpers are non existent anymore, I dont know why, and its ******* me off. I work at a fabrication shop so worst comes to worst I make my own but id like to find an easy alternative that all KJ lovers can hop on too, but to overcome that I gatta know WHY no one else makes them anymore!!:help: also do you think an XJ rear bumber could be modified to fit a KJ considering it is also a unibody design, all thought would be greatly appreciated!!:gr_grin:

There were only 2 really, mine and Rock Lizard, RL is out and I'm trying to decide yet if its worth it. Most don't want to pay what metal, welding , time etc

and NO a XJ will not work without a ton of fab work, nor will a TJ, JK, CJ, etc

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't KNOW but I would say the age of the vehicle has something to do with it. Supply and Demand. There just aren't a lot of us.

I have a list of 27 people who " say " they want one, but after being in this Jeep world business for over 40 years I know that means 5-10 will actually buy. So is it worth my time and have money invested to do it. Last time I did ten, one people gave me some down, I held the bumper for two years and never did get any more so installed it one of mine

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The Liberty is just an everyday vehicle to most. There are ton around me. I have the only lifted one here that I know of or seen, out of the 8-12 I see on the road everyday.

Not enough demand for aftermarket bumpers. Yes. there are quite few who would like them, but not many that would buy them. I've seen some that look nice and I would like to have, but I wouldn't pay $800+ for it.

And there lies the problem , most don't think its worth it
The RL with both swing outs was close to 2 grand retail
so a well built bumper is well worth 800
Same as people saying the ARB is too much, well after several deer being chewed up by mine, it saved me about 4-5000 at least I'll bet in damages
Its all where you put priorities, I'd rather have a good bumper than dang LED lights hanging everywhere

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think $800+ is very reasonable considering the labor and opportunity cost of building a low volume thing.

I'm content with my stock bumpers but $800 ain't a bad deal.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think $800+ is very reasonable considering the labor and opportunity cost of building a low volume thing.

I'm content with my stock bumpers but $800 ain't a bad deal.

Have you checked out some of the pickup bumpers? They are not real high volume either,granted more demand then a KJ/KK and they start at $2500 for the front and go all the way up well over $4000.The rears are not as bad,start at around $800.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that $800 would be a great price. Just that to me, having 145,000+ miles on the clock, that would be a waste to pay that much for a bumper. Other ****'s gonna go. Although it appears that it was pretty well taken care of, it is still a used vehicle. And even if we could find one for that price, I wouldn't be able to afford it for a bumper.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that $800 would be a great price. Just that to me, having 145,000+ miles on the clock, that would be a waste to pay that much for a bumper. Other ****'s gonna go. Although it appears that it was pretty well taken care of, it is still a used vehicle.

See that is another thing I have a hard time understanding...............................

Why someone would mod a vehicle with 100k+ miles on it unless it's a complete rebuild of everything.I mean it's not my money but just doesn't make sense to me,more so when they sell it a year or two down the road.

I started modifying my KJ before it even left the dealership lot with 3 miles on it.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See that is another thing I have a hard time understanding...............................

Why someone would mod a vehicle with 100k+ miles on it unless it's a complete rebuild of everything.I mean it's not my money but just doesn't make sense to me,more so when they sell it a year or two down the road.

I started modifying my KJ before it even left the dealership lot with 3 miles on it.

To each there own, but, like me, I built my rockers out of 3/16" steel. The rockers were rusted out so I "upgraded" them.

Also, not everyone can afford to mod a new vehicle, let alone even buy one. Between my wife and I, we had 2 new cars plus the KJ and a few new motorcycles. **** went downhill fast a few months ago and now we have the KJ, her Jeep (who knows how long for), my car and the new bikes are gone. We're left with hoping to keep what we have but are back to the used car lot from the new.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
See I mod what I know if I want to I can remove and install on another one. Like the 03 had 78,000 miles, all documentation since new and one owner so for me to throw a JBA coilover lift and skids etc was worth it, plus if something does happen there are more KJs out there
The XJs I had and Ford pickups same way, people either bought them fully loaded or I switched many parts over

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want a stock looking/shaped front and rear set made out of steel that'll demolish an armored truck when I hit it. :D
Add in an integrated winch to the front too while you're at it. Hide the fairlead behind a flip down or removable front plate. And I need integrated front and rear receivers.

Stealth mode baby!

probably would cost more than a brand new jeep!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I want a stock looking/shaped front and rear set made out of steel that'll demolish an armored truck when I hit it. :D
Add in an integrated winch to the front too while you're at it. Hide the fairlead behind a flip down or removable front plate. And I need integrated front and rear receivers.

Stealth mode baby!

probably would cost more than a brand new jeep!

Sort of like the Sundance bumper, but winch sat on top of the bumper on it
and to think it was over a 1000 bucks back in 07
If hidden winch it would have to stick out as far as the ARB, then no longer looking stock from the side

angelis_digital

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was fond of the Detours backbone, but it looks like I won't be able to get that now. I just need somewhere or somehow to mount a winch.

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I figured as much that the kj was a dieing off road breed, i only see white girls or old mexican ladies driving them around in Austin TX, but I guess that just leaves me to custom fab my own rear bumper, time to pull out the cardboard and start cutting. first i gatta rip off the stock rear bumper and see what I can work with. that is unless of course tommudd is going to start another run of the his rear bumpers, the only thing id like to know is if his bumpers allow for the stock tire carrier to stay on the tailgate.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
well I figured as much that the kj was a dieing off road breed, i only see white girls or old mexican ladies driving them around in Austin TX, but I guess that just leaves me to custom fab my own rear bumper, time to pull out the cardboard and start cutting. first i gatta rip off the stock rear bumper and see what I can work with. that is unless of course tommudd is going to start another run of the his rear bumpers, the only thing id like to know is if his bumpers allow for the stock tire carrier to stay on the tailgate.

Dieing off ? :happy175:
His, ?? Talk to me son!
Yes it does allow for the stock mount to be used , designed that way