Why a 225 75 R16 on CRD.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpnst

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why the CRD comes with 225's on th 16" rim instead of the 235's on the 17" rim. Before i bought my CRD I built one online and the limited comes with the bigger tire and wheel until you select the CRD option. Any thoughts would be great. I am wondering if a 245 70 R16 will fit on my stock CRD? Don't have the money for lift right now!!

Thanks

Michael

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Must be a fluke. The CRD can have the limited package. (Which comes with 17" rims)

Marlon may be able to provide more info since he is obsessed with CRD knowledge.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds kind of odd regarding the 17" rim. However, if I were you I would go with the smaller tires and 16" wheels. Then immediatley after driving off the lot go straight to your tire shop, trade in your current set, and purchase a much nicer set of All Terrain tires with some nice 16x8 rims ...

=D>

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
alpnst said:
Can anyone tell me why the CRD comes with 225's on th 16" rim instead of the 235's on the 17" rim. Before i bought my CRD I built one online and the limited comes with the bigger tire and wheel until you select the CRD option. Any thoughts would be great. I am wondering if a 245 70 R16 will fit on my stock CRD? Don't have the money for lift right now!!

Thanks

Michael
Nobody really knows. Speculation states that the 17" rims cannot handle the torque? Bunk, IMO.

jfortier777 said:
Must be a fluke. The CRD can have the limited package. (Which comes with 17" rims)

Marlon may be able to provide more info since he is obsessed with CRD knowledge.

You are wrong twice. I am obsessed with Jeep knowledge. And no Liberty with diesel engine can have the 17" chrome rims... if it does, it was a dealer upgrade.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OOOOOOHHH! Shot miah down!!! \:D/

Umm, why would the 17in rims not be able to handle the torque? That just doesnt make sense. Think of all the torque is applied to a rim when you have it in 4low and take a turn on black-top... :-k

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
You are wrong twice. I am obsessed with Jeep knowledge. And no Liberty with diesel engine can have the 17" chrome rims... if it does, it was a dealer upgrade.

Looks like I was wrong to count on marlon for info.

Two minutes on google showed up tons of references to the 17" rim option on CRDs.

Look for yourself.

Edit:

BTW: what train of though do you have to be on in order to think that 300# of torque is a lot. Its a great achievement in proportion to the rest of the vehicle. But its hardly enough to damage a rim.

Better look out if you drive a Cummins 600 turbo diesel. (600# of torque)
your liable to rip the pavement right off the road. =D>

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
Marlon_JBT said:

Looks like I was wrong to count on marlon for info.

Two minutes on google showed up tons of references to the 17" rim option on CRDs.

Look for yourself.

Edit:

BTW: what train of though do you have to be on in order to think that 300# of torque is a lot. Its a great achievement in proportion to the rest of the vehicle. But its hardly enough to damage a rim.

Better look out if you drive a Cummins 600 turbo diesel. (600# of torque)
your liable to rip the pavement right off the road. =D>

I said that was speculation.

However, I invite you to go find a Liberty with diesel engine on the lot with the 17" wheels from the factory. Good luck with that.

You must be registered for see images attach

Lochmoor Chrysler-Jeep has 2 Limited models with the diesel engine and neither of them have any of the 17" wheels on them whether they be aluminum or chrome clad. Why? The 16" wheels are part of the "Package" that includes the diesel engine. The engine isn't a seperate choice like the 3.7L would be to the 2.4L. (which doesn't exist in the Liberty anymore)

But to answer your question...

Yes, you can fit 245/70R16 tyres on your Liberty with rubbing anywhere. I've been running them for the past 13,000 miles! \:D/

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
right....

to put simply..IT's NOT AVAILABLE!

is it THAT important?...

everyone getting all their ******* in a bunch for an extra inch....

not much tire options on 17" anyway

jeep doesnt like 17" on CRD's so....no 17" CRD from the factory....

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just because the online build program doesnt allow it doesnt mean its not available.

Maybe using the 16" rim is just one of the ways they reduced the sticker price of the CRD which is costlier than the gas equivalent. If you ask for the option you still get them; moreover, if you order a fully loaded CRD it will roll up on 17" rims.
I think the factor of price seems much more resonable, than the idea that it will vaporize rims.

Or it could be as simple as Jon said. "Jeep doesnt like 17" rims"; maybe some guys at jeep were just like "Hey, lets not put 17" rims on the CRD", then the rest of them were like "K" and then just like that, no 17" rims with any of the packages.

Either way, bottom line is that 17" rims are an option on the CRD, but they arent listed.

alpnst

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the answer on the tires. I will be gettin 245's as soon as possible. Man I have only had my CRD for 10 days and do I hate these stock goodyears!!

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on looking for the new tires!! Go big or go home is the motto...Let us know what you end up getting...

Oh yea before I forget:

Chrome Alloy Wheels, 17-In. X 7-In.
is the wheel for the Loaded CRD Limited.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Sigh.

Nobody understands.

You can't get the 17" rims. It's simply not available because it's overridden by the Diesel package. That's not hard to understand. I'm not sure why. Jon, you made an excellent post. It's just simply not available.

You want 17" rims on a Liberty Limited, You HAVE to get the 3.7L engine. It's just that simple. You get the 2.8L diesel, you're getting the 16" Mechanica Rims.

You just can't do it.

The online build tool configures everything exactly as it will come out of the factory. This is what matters....

The people on LOST had a nice discussion about this back in '05... I doubt I can still find it because it was on their old board which they have abandoned. The only thing I can remember is the "torque" speculation.

To the OP: What tires are you going with?

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
Sigh.

Nobody understands...

Lol, I think you misunderstand me Marlon. Im saying you cant get them from the factory but if you ask for them the dealer will give them to you and charge you for the upgrade.

Its proof enough that there are CRD out there with the limited rims on them.

alpnst

Reaction score
I have been thinking about going with the Grabber AT2 or the Destination AT's. I had Michellin's on my WJ Limited and they were okay, horrible road noise for a semi aggressive tire.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
Marlon_JBT said:
Sigh.

Nobody understands...

Lol, I think you misunderstand me Marlon. Im saying you cant get them from the factory but if you ask for them the dealer will give them to you and charge you for the upgrade.

Its proof enough that there are CRD out there with the limited rims on them.
No you didn't.

Anyway, the Mechanica rims were previously Limited trim rims. I guess it's an added bonus. IMO, they look great.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
No you didn't.
Lets keep this polite marlon there is no need for hostility. Flame bait is no good. yupnope.gif

Back to the topic and bottom line for OP.

None of us can explain why the CRD 17" rims are so enigmatic, maybe down the road some DC insider can shed some light on it.

In the meantime though a 17" rim fits and works, so if bigger rims are your thing; then more power to ya. (biggthumpup)