Whos got subwoofers? Post pics of your audio setups!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now i run a single Infinity 1252 powered by a Kicker 300.1zx and like it because its nice clear bass thats not to loud. But i was thinking of getting another Infinity 1252 or selling my one i have and getting 2 of something else maybe apline type R's or Rockfords and making a custom box.
Or maybe keeping my one and adding some 6" subs under the front seats?
I just feel the need to improve my audio situation but my doors and dash speakers have been holding up great and do not want to replace them until i blow atleast one :D
Lets see some pictures of your audio setups!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my sub setup -

Switch to kill the amp (it just cuts the remote turn-on wire)
You must be registered for see images attach

amp location - it JUST BARELY fits and allows the seat to fold flat

10" Kappa Perfect in a .6cu ft sealed box, 3/4" MDF (made myself)

Hook

Hook

Velcro

So, what this setup allows for me to do is cut the power to the amp. I can easily unclip the speaker wires and lift the box out for cargo room. Cutting the amp ensures the speaker wires don't touch and short out. The hook and velcro have held it securely for 40,000 miles, even offroading and in turns onroad.

I'm pretty happy with the setup, but I am tempted by the smaller 6" sub size to build a box for something like that and stash it away either in the back again, or under the front seat(s). For cost reasons, I'll probably just keep what I have.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would you need to have a switch for that? Does your HU not let you turn it on and off?

Ill have some pics here in a month or so.. Plan on replacing HU and speakers with a 4 channel amp. :)

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now i run a single Infinity 1252 powered by a Kicker 300.1zx and like it because its nice clear bass thats not to loud. But i was thinking of getting another Infinity 1252 or selling my one i have and getting 2 of something else maybe apline type R's or Rockfords and making a custom box.
Or maybe keeping my one and adding some 6" subs under the front seats?
I just feel the need to improve my audio situation but my doors and dash speakers have been holding up great and do not want to replace them until i blow atleast one :D
Lets see some pictures of your audio setups!

you can fit pioneer shallow mount 8" subs under the front seat if you do it right... I'll get some pics of the custom boxes I built that are under my front seats...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Why would you need to have a switch for that? Does your HU not let you turn it on and off?

I too have a switch for my amplifier.... in the same spot too. :p (OK I stole Kevin's idea lol3.gif )

Mine doesn't allow me to turn it off. Well obviously because I'm running the stock headunit. Either way, it's much, MUCH quicker. Especially when riding past cops... ;)

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can fit pioneer shallow mount 8" subs under the front seat if you do it right... I'll get some pics of the custom boxes I built that are under my front seats...

Yeah i would like to see some pictures of that! i know i saw some where boxes being made for under the seat but i figured only 6" subs would fit.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ill have some pics here in a month or so.. Plan on replacing HU and speakers with a 4 channel amp. :)

HU allows you to set the level - doesn't totally kill the amp from turning it on. I don't think any HU will allow you to force the amp to stay off. From a sound perspective, the HU may not put out any signal, but the amp is still on.

Plus, like Marlon said - when I first installed it, I had the stock HU.

Also, it's easier for my wife to just kill the bass when she borrows the KJ instead of having to go through the menus.

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like that design, that is what i might do, but go with a 6" sub because i just got a new set of husky floor liners and it goes under the seat slightly and really do not want to cut up or not use them already!

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my 200W Pioneer Amp secured to the back of the Sub box. I have since removed the ratchet strap though.

Here is my Sony Xplod head unit with a USB and AUX front ports. XM and Sirius Satellite Radio with a 4 GB Creative Zen MP3 player (not shown) randomly plugged into the AUX Jack. Door speakers are Kenwood.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ordered the components and 4 channel amp today. HU is out of stock at the place I'm ordering my stuff from. Also ordered a better adapter for the steering wheel controls so its all hard wired and not wireless(never worked all that great).

Still not 100% set on that HU Im looking at though. Went to a few different places today trying to find it but no one had one that high up. Had the 610 and it was just 'ok' so idk..

Thats an awesome setup ShadowedXistence. I would think some people would buy those boxes if they were made. Doesnt look like they would work with power seats though.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And you all are correct in that it doesnt turn the remote wire off. That wire also turns on the amps for the stock infinity system so if it turned it off then everything would go off. Doesnt bother me though, its no problem to flip through the settings to turn the out puts off to the sub. Only time I turn that off is when the Jeep isnt running and Ive got the stereo on.

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chino... .43 cubic feet... those 8" shallow mount subs require between .37 and .5

jeepjeepster... not sure about the power seat thing... it does get a little complicated to install however... the sensors for the seat belts are right in the way, and have to be removed from the metal bracket that hangs way down under the seat and tied up higher, as well as the bracket needs to be bent up out of the way... also, on the passenger seat, there is that stupid airbag sensor, that has to be flipped over to the top of the bracket it currently sits on to make sure there is enough room for the sub to play... the easiest method was to take the seats out, and clean up all the wiring, mount the box, which is screwed directly to the floor with 3 2in self tapping screws, and then remount the seat... I made one set that didn't quite match up as well as I wanted to, so I took new measurements using the first mockop, changed the design... and it couldn't have fit any better... I know the pioneer 8" shallow mount sub will fit guaranteed, as this was the sub I designed and built the box around... as for fitting a different subwoofer... no guarantees... unless of course one decides to go with a 6" or such... I have all the dimensions and such lying around somewhere... If I had more tools... I would gladly have built and sold these for those who desired... the only thing is, I don't have a miter saw, a jointer, or a table saw... everything was cut with a circular saw and saber saw... I left the overall height about an inch tall, so I could go around the edge with the circular saw, to make sure everything was perfect, and then sand everything to sit perfectly flush to the top... sealed the inside... and reinforced all outside seams with 2 coats of liquid nail... wish the carpet job was a little better, but nobody every notices... I guess I'm just ****... lol

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made one set that didn't quite match up as well as I wanted to, so I took new measurements using the first mockop, changed the design... and it couldn't have fit any better... I know the pioneer 8" shallow mount sub will fit guaranteed, as this was the sub I designed and built the box around... as for fitting a different subwoofer... no guarantees... unless of course one decides to go with a 6" or such... I have all the dimensions and such lying around somewhere... If I had more tools... I would gladly have built and sold these for those who desired... the only thing is, I don't have a miter saw, a jointer, or a table saw... everything was cut with a circular saw and saber saw... I left the overall height about an inch tall, so I could go around the edge with the circular saw, to make sure everything was perfect, and then sand everything to sit perfectly flush to the top... sealed the inside... and reinforced all outside seams with 2 coats of liquid nail... wish the carpet job was a little better, but nobody every notices... I guess I'm just ****... lol

Do you have the dimensions for the 6" sub that would be a big help for me if i do try and mock one up with base numbers to start with!

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the dimensions for the 6" sub that would be a big help for me if i do try and mock one up with base numbers to start with!

What volume is required for those 6" subs? And I'm guessing you mean the rear floor mats go under the front seats a lil right? Let me know n ill throw some dimensions together to work best for YOUR set up!

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What volume is required for those 6" subs? And I'm guessing you mean the rear floor mats go under the front seats a lil right? Let me know n ill throw some dimensions together to work best for YOUR set up!

yeah the rear floormats goe a bit under the front seat, and i havent selected which 6" sub i plan on going with yet but i can't afford anything to nice, probably just this: http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-PW677...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260055746&sr=8-1
But i just looked and realized the mounting depth is a bit much i think.
I think for volume it should only need .3-.4 ft^3

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the mounting depth on that is only 3.6... i've got 5 build in on my set... personally... you should use the 8's... much deeper response... the 6's are going to sound like a mid range, where as the are MUCH punchier...

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the mounting depth on that is only 3.6... i've got 5 build in on my set... personally... you should use the 8's... much deeper response... the 6's are going to sound like a mid range, where as the are MUCH punchier...

The biggest thing that threw me off for the 8s were the price for a shallow mount. I know the quality will be better as will more and deeper bass being produced but the cheapest ones i have found are the kickers 8" shallow mount 200RMS or 400MAX for $70 a piece also the pioneer premiers but a bit more at $130 a piece... (which i love having coming from 2 12" pioneer premier champion pro series 3000W a piece, that was intense!:D)
Any other 8" that are shallow enough and cheap!?