Who said a Liberty can't Tow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! But who did say a Liberty can't tow?

Wouldn't mind driving the beast on the back!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im sure thats a crd though. I do not believe I could tow that where I live with my 3.7. If it had WD, anti sway, and trailer brakes, then I could do it where its flat.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
I dont know..that jeep being towed is probably just tires/suspention and engine.....
and the tires are probably the heaviest thing....

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Im sure thats a crd though. I do not believe I could tow that where I live with my 3.7. If it had WD, anti sway, and trailer brakes, then I could do it where its flat.
Pfft... you're underutilizing your KJ, tee hee....

But then again, so am I.

Although I have been driving them for a while. I would not hesitate to hook up a trailer (of any weight up to the limit) to EITHER engine. Considering my sister's KJ has the tow hitch, when the day comes to tow something, that's the one that will do the job. \:D/

SavageSS27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't underestimate the weight of that CJ, looks like there's at least 1000lbs. worth of mud on there.... \:D/ Just like it should be...

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:

The only benefit the CRD has for towing is the additional torque and the fuel economy.

Neither of those increase the towing capacity.

that trailer probably weighs about 1000# and the jeep probably runs about 2500-3000 both estimates on the high high high side. Should be no problem for a bone stock nothing special liberty.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled a 15ft bass boat with mine in some of the biggest mountains ky has a few weeks ago. If I didnt let it downshift into 2nd, it got down to 45mph. I let it downshift one time, but didnt like it, so I stuck with 45mph a few times. It did better than the 4.0 our 94 grand cherokee has though. \:D/ If I had to guess, I would say the boat weighs around 2klbs. It doesnt have brakes or anything, so its alittle crazy sometimes. :-& It doesnt like to =; in the rain. :-({|=

Edit: Torque helps alot when towing, that what pulls you down the road. Why do you think the diesel rams have crazy amounts of torque yet little HP? Torque is what you feel in the seat of you pants. HP is just the engines ability to work, like when you lay it to the floor doing 60mph.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
jeepjeepster said:

The only benefit the CRD has for towing is the additional torque and the fuel economy.

\:D/ =D> (biggthumpup) Great post!

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
jfortier777 said:
jeepjeepster said:

\:D/ =D> (biggthumpup) Great post!

CRD towing capacity (5000#)
3.7L towing capacity (5000#)

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towing capacity is relevant depending on elevation, inclines, etc...

The heavier the load the harder it is on the vehicle while driving on hills, inclines, higher elevations. With the CRD, you strengthen the ability to pull those bigger capacities in these environments due to the greater amount of torque that is generated. A gasser will have a very difficult time pulling the same amt of towing capacity in the same coniditions.

Being in Michigan we don't see many hill climbs or high elevation levels, so I think my gasser would do pretty good at towing similar capacities as a CRD.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
Towing capacity is relevant depending on elevation, inclines, etc...

The heavier the load the harder it is on the vehicle while driving on hills, inclines, higher elevations. With the CRD, you strengthen the ability to pull those bigger capacities in these environments due to the greater amount of torque that is generated. A gasser will have a very difficult time pulling the same amt of towing capacity in the same coniditions.

Being in Michigan we don't see many hill climbs or high elevation levels, so I think my gasser would do pretty good at towing similar capacities as a CRD.

Of course enviroment affects your load, but the towing capacity is the same regardless. DC decided that 5000# is your capacity, whatever happens after that is purely situational. Therefore a generalization cannot be made to compare the vehicles.

If you are towing 5000# on a flat surface identical loads on a 3.7 and a CRD.
Both will pull it, but the CRD will accelerate faster.
If you were to increase the loads incrementaly by say 500# each run; eventually the 3.7L would fail to get the load moving, and the CRD would be able to budge it. Regardless of that, the rest of the vehicle is the same and you are still exceeding the capabilities of it.

A CRD may be able to move a 7000# load, but does that mean the towing capacity is higher than 5000#? No.

The rating is based on the vehicle as a whole. Not just the engine.

Shobbs082

Reaction score
I know for a fact that a KJ can tow, because that it what I use to tow my 2 4 wheelers around. The combined weight of the trailer and 2 4 wheelers is topping out at around 4300 pounds and the KJ pulls it with ease. I know the towing capacity is 5000 pounds and mine is under the weight but I just thought that I would throw my 2 cents in lol3.gif

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hehe. The title of the post is not meaning to indicate that the KJ can't pull. I jus thought it was cool to see a the Liberty pulling the Mud Bogging Jeep.

EOD-KJ

Reaction score
i pulled a 90s something izuzu cruiser (i htink thats the name, whatever their older suv was) up a 35-40* mud hill, in my bone stock liberty, in 2WD only using straps clipped to the u-hooks

i bet that thing weighs close or more than 4000 lbs....

KJs can tow