Who Makes A Legit Chip To Improve MPG's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsbelljr83

Reaction score
I bought off eBay what was supposed to be a chip to increase my MPG's in my Liberty by 7-12. It turns out it is a cheap resistor and to date has not done a thing. My commute is 108 miles a day, 98% is interstate, which helps. But I want to find a legit chip that will help improve my MPG's. ANY assistance will be greatly appreciated.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's all "snake oil" and you've already been bitten once... enough said.

My wife commutes 220 miles a week in the Liberty and it cost $46.00 last weekend to fill it up. I commute 260 miles a week in the Honda and it costs me $25.00 to fill it up the other day.

If you're looking to save $$$ on fuel cost for your 108 mile daily commute, I'd be looking into a small econo car....

Last edited:

myjeepwalks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or just do what i did put a lift and some mt/r's on it have your mpg to drop to 14.5mpg. I travel 260 miles a week to and from work that doesn't include my weekend driving. If you want good gas mileage need to get a honda or something. :D

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want good gas mileage need to get a honda or something. :D

I don't think they make a chip to change a Jeep into a hondaaaa.......cough...cough...puke&choke.......besides, you would go to hell if you did that.

Dave

myjeepwalks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think they make a chip to change a Jeep into a hondaaaa.......cough...cough...puke&choke.......besides, you would go to hell if you did that.

Dave

LOL, yeah i guess that didn't really answer his question.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there was such a thing, all the car mfg would be falling all over themselves to get as many as they could.....

Dave

Lili'sKJ

Reaction score
So, there are no chips or other forms of engine management that alter timing and AFR's for Libertys? On my 2005 Saab 9-2x (same as wrx), I gained about 5 mpg's after getting tuned. I also gained about 50hp and 60ft lbs of torque (not just tuning), so... not to shabby. Is there no such tuning magic going on with the Libertys?

Lili'sKJ

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, there are no chips or other forms of engine management that alter timing and AFR's for Libertys? On my 2005 Saab 9-2x (same as wrx), I gained about 5 mpg's after getting tuned. I also gained about 50hp and 60ft lbs of torque (not just tuning), so... not to shabby. Is there no such tuning magic going on with the Libertys?

Lili'sKJ
What company did the chip? Any dyno results? 50 HP on a reprogramed chip seems way too high....

Lili'sKJ

Reaction score
What company did the chip? Any dyno results? 50 HP on a reprogramed chip seems way too high....

Hi,
Actually, it isn't that high... there was room for more, but I have to do some datalogging, and then we can do the final tweaks. You must remember, the Saabaru is not naturally aspirated. Great gains can be found on vehicles that have forced induction, ie turbo or supercharger. Also, notice in my original post, that I said the gains were not only due to tuning. On the Saabarus/WRX's, about 30hp can be found just from tuning. Add on some aftermarket goodies, and you're talking some serious power. There are a few of these cars that are pushing 800hp+, and many in the 500's.

My car is far from stock, but a far cry from what some others have done. I increased displacement from 2liters to 2.5liters, added a bigger turbo w/mild porting, full 3" exhaust, intercooler hoses, lightened and slightly underdriven crank pulley, and various other modifications. With all that I've done, and the tune, I should be able to get about 100hp over stock. The tune that I have, however, is pretty mild, and I should be at about 60-70hp over stock, but about 100ft lbs of torque higher than stock. Final tweaking of the tune will be done probably in two weeks.

Hopefully this all makes sense... I'm somewhat distracted at the moment!

Lili'sKJ

Lili'sKJ

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I didn't really answer the first part of your question, though it should be fairly clear from what I did write. I am not using a chip. There are no chips for my car. Instead, we are altering parameters in the vehicle's computer with opensource software (Openecu and Enginuity). Check into these programs, they are pretty awesome, though a bit beyond me. Luckily, I have a Subaru master tech and an engineer who feel very comfortable tuning these cars!

Lili'sKJ

tan's2002kjlimited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jet Chip claims to make a performance module: :confused:

The JET Performance Module for Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep vehicles is a JET exclusive. Dynamic Spectrum Tuning provides power gains across the entire power band-not just at full throttle. Point by point air/fuel ratio, ignition advance and various other tuning points provide performance gains of up to 25 horsepower. Improves throttle response, acceleration and low end torque. Simple, plug-in installation in less than 30 minutes. Available in Stage 1 and Stage 2.

Stage 1-For stock or mildly modified vehicles. Fuel and timing curves are modified for optimal performance and mileage using less expensive, lower octane fuels. Programming is designed to burn fuel at peak efficiency, which results in improved performance and mileage. Daily drivers can use lower cost regular fuel for potential mileage gains, but for optimal performance gains use of mid-grade or better is recommended.

Stage 2-Designed for the performance enthusiast, the Stage 2 features more aggressive programming to make the most horsepower and torque available. Fuel and timing curves are extensively modified for peak performance and drivability. Requires use of 91 octane fuel, 180 degree thermostat and free flow exhaust. Also works well with aftermarket intake systems, mass air sensors, TBI spacers, etc.

http://www.jetchip.com/products.asp?pid=21696&make=32&model=353#353

Last edited:

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jet Chips are no good for KJs. I have not heard of any actual improvements over stock. Unfortunately, the CRD is the only one that can see actual results from a performance chip. From what I've heard, you have to go the old school method with the 3.7L and do actual physical modifications like headers and such.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
use synthetic oil, and put a bit more psi in your tires. If you dont go in deep water, try putting an intake system in it also, will help a bit. Also a less restrictive muffler will help. All those little things do add up...eventually.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Actually, it isn't that high... there was room for more, but I have to do some datalogging, and then we can do the final tweaks. You must remember, the Saabaru is not naturally aspirated. Great gains can be found on vehicles that have forced induction, ie turbo or supercharger. Also, notice in my original post, that I said the gains were not only due to tuning. On the Saabarus/WRX's, about 30hp can be found just from tuning. Add on some aftermarket goodies, and you're talking some serious power. There are a few of these cars that are pushing 800hp+, and many in the 500's.

My car is far from stock, but a far cry from what some others have done. I increased displacement from 2liters to 2.5liters, added a bigger turbo w/mild porting, full 3" exhaust, intercooler hoses, lightened and slightly underdriven crank pulley, and various other modifications. With all that I've done, and the tune, I should be able to get about 100hp over stock. The tune that I have, however, is pretty mild, and I should be at about 60-70hp over stock, but about 100ft lbs of torque higher than stock. Final tweaking of the tune will be done probably in two weeks.

Hopefully this all makes sense... I'm somewhat distracted at the moment!

Lili'sKJ

I know of a Denali that could outrun a well tuned Grand Prix GTP at any speed (moving or from stop). Problem is the Denali sucked fuel like a SOB... ~100 miles of driving was about $50 of fuel. I think you're answering the wrong question here. He didn't want "what mods can I do to make more power" he wanted "what mods can I make to save fuel". I myself haven't found any great fuel saving mods for the Liberty, but keeping the air filter clean, and the tires properly inflated are some things I'm sure help. Also don't have excessive "junk" in the vehicle that you don't need (do you really need your snow brush in the summer?) every pound counts and you'd be suprised what all that "extra junk" really weighs together.