Whitish Smoke only at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FaustusCaligula

Reaction score
So, My liberty has (according to the Meineke guy) an oilpan gasket leak. Car doesn't leak when it's off, just running. Averages a quart or two per 500 miles. Still runs fine, no loss of acceleration or anything. I've been sure to check my oil every day and worst, every other day. I don't let it run too low. I just can't afford $400 for an axle drop/Engine lift for the gasket change right now. $5-$10 for a bit of oil is much easier to cope with.

Problem is, now I'm seeing a bit of whitish exhaust at idle. When Running, there's no issue whatsoever. Exhaust is normal. But when idling even at lights, the exhaust is noticeably white. I'm also smelling burning oil every so often.

How bad could this be?

FaustusCaligula

Reaction score
Ever since I've gotten it, I've put in High Mileage synthetic if that makes any difference. Specified for that at Oil changes as well.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt the pan gasket is leaking. The way it works it very unlikely to suddenly leak. Valve cover and crank seal (and rear main) are more likely.

White smoke is usually coolant related. Now bluish would be oil.
I'd check the fluid levels and see whats happening over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk