which way to go grill guard or bull bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4 ace's

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i'm looking to put a bull bar or grill guard on but not sure of which one to go with.i like the look of both and which every one i get i will mount my kc lites on . i have seen libertys with the guard on but not with the bar on.but also will 4 wheel parks let me run with them on and not having my tow hooks which i just mounted.any picture's of liberty's with bull bars on them.so i thought i would take a shot and see what you guys think :confused:. becausey girl could care less which one i put on lol :D

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most offroad parts require F/R tow points so yes adding a brush guard will effect your wheeling.Those types of brush guards/bull bars will cause more vehicle damage(yours) when in a front end wreck also.

Better off getting a ARB bumper,you still maintain 2 front tow points,have the ability to add a winch,have mounting points for for AUX lights,and the biggie is it will provide better crash protection.
You must be registered for see images attach

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check my avatar for photo with bullbar. I've heard both that tow hooks can be in place or they can't but I don't have them. I put it on in summer 2003 and by last year it was so chipped up I took it off, stripped the paint to metal, primed it and repainted it.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my .02 on these things
a complete waste of money
like you and others have said
remove a functional part and replace with some thing that is good for looks only?
to me that is almost as bad as these guys who are pulling the MT's off of Rubicons and putting AT's or even plain old highway tires on what is the point?

I would go with an ARB or nothing

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
my 2.5 cents on this
since I have had my liberty I have used the rear tow hook once, then it was removed to install a rear trailer hitch, the hitch I have used 6 or more times now

as far as a functioning unit, the grill guard I would mount would be a great place to mount my 150 watt KC 's...the front tow hooks I have never used them yet, so they are not very functional at all in my case soooooo.........
it all depends on how you use your vehicle

********* wheelers like tjkj I can see their point, but for me and hundreds like me the tow hooks will never see a chain or rope in their ownership life

as far as getting an ARB bumper, well I would love to get one of those myself....but the 1000 dollar-adoos it would cost to buy it, unfortunately puts a damper on that idea, therefore for 100 beans or so I can get a grill guard to mount my Daylighters

Last edited:

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not completely useless - the only reason I bought mine was to have something to tie the nose of the canoe to, without rope rubbing on the hood...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 2.5 cents on this
since I have had my liberty I have used the rear tow hook once, then it was removed to install a rear trailer hitch, the hitch I have used 6 or more times now

as far as a functioning unit, the grill guard I would mount would be a great place to mount my 150 watt KC 's...the front tow hooks I have never used them yet, so they are not very functional at all in my case soooooo.........
it all depends on how you use your vehicle

********* wheelers like tjkj I can see their point, but for me and hundreds like me the tow hooks will never see a chain or rope in their ownership life

as far as getting an ARB bumper, well I would love to get one of those myself....but the 1000 dollar-adoos it would cost to buy it, unfortunately puts a damper on that idea, therefore for 100 beans or so I can get a grill guard to mount my Daylighters
Well if front tow hooks are useless to you then so should KC DayLighter lights.Can't use DayLighters at the mall.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Uh...with such a clever wit, why are you wasting your talent on these forums? You should be on the road with Larry the Cable Guy...Jeff Foxworthy...the boys are always looking for raw talent, or someone to wash their tour bus.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moderator Warning

Mod Note

This thread is two posts away from being locked. Once again, the OP asks a question that, admittedly, is asking for opinion regarding the item. However, personal attacks on other users' vehicles and how they are used will not be tolerated. Continuation of this type of behavior will result in locked threads and violations assessed for problematic members. Back on topic.....