which replacement diff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
members advised me to get a locking rear diff, i dont want to have a compresor/tank so it cant be an ARB?

which one and why?
Well if the ARB is out the next best locker for the rear diff is the Detroit Locker,very strong,much stronger then the lunchbox style lockers mentioned in the post above.The Detroit has over 60 years of very hard proof of why it's the best auto locker on the market.

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Detroit locker is an auto locker. That means it is always on with no way to completely shut it off. It is torqe activated, meaning you get on the gas and the rear end will lock, let off the gas and it will unlock. Extra care on snow and ice as the rear will lock and slide easyer than your open diff.
http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produ...roducts/Differentials/DetroitLocker/index.htm

There is also an Eaton E locker that uses an electrical switch instead of air like the ARB but i am not sure if they make one for the 8.25
http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produ...ucts/Products/Differentials/Elocker/index.htm

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

droptine

Reaction score
I have the Powertrax no-slip in a 4x2 Dodge Ram and it works well, but you do have to be easy on the gas around the corners.

Traction has vastly improved. I would do it again in a second.

However, the Detroit varieties may be superior and they offer more options (e.g., no-slip, limited-slip, etc.).

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Detroit True Tac would last longer and be more dependable than one of those lunch box style units. I have been dreaming of a DTT for many years now... One day maybe I'll get it.

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My factory trashlock broke this fall and damaged the pinion bearing. I had the rear end completely rebuilt with a Detroit True Trac. If your KJ isn't a trail rig, I would highly recommend it. It works much better than the factory LSD. You have to be more careful in 2WD in slick conditions because if you give it too much gas, it will swing the rear out. I just put it in FT4WD when it's really slick out there, and it plows right through the icey, slushy mess we get here. You might want to go with the Detroit Locker if you'll be on the trails.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I'm being lazy...
What does an ARB sell for in the US?
The reputable "Off road shop" here just laughed at me when I asked for a price quote to buy and have one installed! Then told me to buy a "Real Jeep"
But munch can lick me where I poop!
I'll buy and have one installed stateside when the time comes.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm being lazy...
The reputable "Off road shop" here just laughed at me when I asked for a price quote to buy and have one installed! Then told me to buy a "Real Jeep"
I paid $750 for the ARB,$150 for the mini compressor,and did the install myself.Normally a ARB install is about $350-$450,it's about $100 or so maore then a other lockers due to having to drill a hole in the axle and wire/plumb the air compressor.Make sure you have a shop that has installed ARB's before,it's real easy to screw up a ARB install,those 2 o-rings can not be nicked in anyway or you will shoot gear oil out the breather tube.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
I paid $750 for the ARB,$150 for the mini compressor,and did the install myself.Normally a ARB install is about $350-$450,it's about $100 or so maore then a other lockers due to having to drill a hole in the axle and wire/plumb the air compressor.Make sure you have a shop that has installed ARB's before,it's real easy to screw up a ARB install,those 2 o-rings can not be nicked in anyway or you will shoot gear oil out the breather tube.

Thanks Tj.

Khaki-KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm being lazy...

What shop were you talking to?? Anybody dumb enough to turn down work in this economy is somebody I want to avoid. Then there is the obvious bias / predjudice against a particular vehicle which would make me question how serious they are about the work they are doing on a vehicle they clearly did not like.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
What shop were you talking to?? Anybody dumb enough to turn down work in this economy is somebody I want to avoid. Then there is the obvious bias / predjudice against a particular vehicle which would make me question how serious they are about the work they are doing on a vehicle they clearly did not like.

I am not going to name the name of the shop. That wouldn't be right.
Maybe the bloke at the said shop didn't like that fact that I came in with my wife and kids! My wife asked a few questions and the a$$ hole on the other side of the counter didn't answer her, he looked at me and talked right over her.
*** em! They obviously do not need my business!