Which GPS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm not sure if something is wrong with the search function but I just put in GPS and returned zero results.

Looking for some input from those with GPS's, I have a Magellan Meridian Gold which is a few years old and has been useful and fun but I'd really like to get turn-by-turn navigation.

I don't want a dummy machine which just does navigation, I'd like to retain some of the functionality of the old one such as user waypoints, saved tracks, all the fun statistics and stuff... also want one which is not permanently in the car so it can be used hand-held for geo-caching etc.

Any suggestions of a good all-round unit? My fiance has agreed to go 1/2 with me so the budget just doubled ;-)

Thanks,

Dave

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One word: "Garmin". Specifically, the StreetPilot c530. It has all the features you asked about and inludes a faster reciever which uses the WAAS/EGNOS format.

The NUVI models are slimmer which = more $$$ and have the same features and use the same mapping as the bulkier StreetPilot models. The c530 can be had for under $400.00

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=384

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

dnm45227

Reaction score
we have a nuvi 350 and won't travel in another city w/o it again. we flew to orlando and put it in the rental and it was amazing, took me right to everywhere we needed.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys... hmm I can get a NUVI 350 or c550 refurbished w/1 year warranty for about the same price (399 Canadian)...

Going to check out a specialty shop tomorrow and look them over!

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the c550. I used a Lowrance iWay 350C for a year then it broke. I replaced it with a TomTom 950 which broke 4 days after purchase, then I exchanged it for the Garmin.
I like it for a few reasons:
Lasted for a month so far
has traffic avoidance
connects to my blue tooth phone and has caller ID w/ built in mic and speakers
the best night screen ever
has audio out which I use along with a Peripheral PXDX and a JL Audio CL-SES to route audio through the stock system. When I get a call or there is verbal directions, the system mutes and I can hear it through the speakers. When the call is over or Garmin is doe speaking, I hear the music again.