Which Glow plugs? and a P1261 Code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2006_Toad

Reaction score
I fell into the internet ocean of what appears to be scattered and mostly old or useless information on which glow plugs to install in my 2006 KJ CRD these days. 7v Ceramic, not any more, 5v Steel with new module ?, 7v Etechno, (they dont even exist)

I am getting a P1261 which i understand to be a #1 glow plug issue. So what glow plugs should I use?

Thank you,

2006_Toad

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
The debate has stopped raging on glowplugs. Tips on the original 7 volt ceramic glowplugs were breaking off in the combustion chamber and getting slapped around by valves destroying engines. Dealer move was to replace them with 5 volt metal glowplugs with a 5 volt controller and dealer reprogram fee. Many went with 7 volt metal glowplugs to skip the new 5 volt controller and dealer experien$e.

The 7 volt metal glowplugs didn't work well in cold climates so some adventurous folks went to 5 volt metal glowplugs without the 5 volt controller or dealer reprogram which seems to work well for many although not as well as the original ceramic glowplugs with the optional engine destruction feature.

So. If you live in a warm climate I can make you a deal on my brand new, never installed 7 volt metal glowplugs. If you live in a cold place you'll probably want the 5 volt metal plugs. If you live in a very cold place Sasquatch (I think) makes a grid heater that's installed between the intercooler output and intake manifold. If you live in an extremely cold place you can install a Webasco diesel preheater which preheats the coolant and block.

LOSTJEEPS has the most info on the 2.8 CRD engine and its' foibles.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
P1261 code... Maybe low power to #1 cylinder glowplug. Check the power harness connecter on your #1 glowplug and condition of the wire going from the #1 glowplug and #2 glowplug. Or there might be a problem with the #1 glowplug itself.

The wiring harness energises all four glowplugs at the same time. The harness goes to #4 plug and then links to #3, #2, and #1at the end.

Last edited:

2006_Toad

Reaction score
So I contacted the dealer near me, to get an idea what glow plugs would cost. He quoted $84 but wasn't sure if that was 1 or all 4, so he created an order to bring them into the dealership to determine. Still waiting for the call back will post when I get the info.

For anyone getting the P1261 I recommend going to the below thread link. The section on checking impedance at the Regulator connection was super simple and confirmed for me the following:

Glow plug 4 - 2.2 Ohms
Glow Plug 3 - 2.2 Ohms
Glow plug 2 - 2.1 Ohms
Glow Plug 1 - 5.9 Mega Ohms - BINGO the reason for my P1261.

Here is an excellent thread with pictures. Nice Job to the Author.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=70159

Thank you to those that responded.

2006_Toad

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
$84.00 Would be for one glowplug. I paid $120.00 each for my metal 7v plugs which aren't going in my jeep and about $100.00 each for the 5v plugs.

Check to see that the dealer isn't selling you a ceramic glowplug. I'll just give you one of them if that's what you're going to install. They're a known problem that should be avoided.

ID Parts and Sasquatch(Weeks) has lots of parts for your engine.

Btownpreacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the same issue only its #4 that out. ID parts has a kit with 4 5v steel plugs and the wiring harness, on sale right now for $119.99. I live in Oklahoma where its rarely that cold; if it is, I just use the block heater. Should I buy this kit?

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are your plugs all ceramic? If so I'd charge the lot, if not I'd buy 1 and replace the one that failed.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, they're all the stock ceramic plugs.
They have a bad reputation! I'd swap them all to steel. They seem very expensive though??
You must be registered for see images attach

Btownpreacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$119.99 over here is not too bad. at least in the US, you accept that parts for your beloved crd are extra pricey because of how rare they are

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$119.99 over here is not too bad. at least in the US, you accept that parts for your beloved crd are extra pricey because of how rare they are
Annoying! I suppose buying elsewhere just gets taxed, we get the same for anything Jeep that isn't an engine part.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I've got the same issue only its #4 that out. ID parts has a kit with 4 5v steel plugs and the wiring harness, on sale right now for $119.99. I live in Oklahoma where its rarely that cold; if it is, I just use the block heater. Should I buy this kit?
Yep!

It's good to get the ceramic glowplugs out before the tips break off and get caught up in the valves making them play with the pistons.

France 16 Olivier

Reaction score
I live in France and as advise by you i didnt install 11V the Bosch but the 5V ( i choose BLUE PRINT ADN11828 modell). In southwest France temperatures are from -50F in winter to 104F in summer. The 12V Bosch pre-heater is still the original one from 2006.