When did ABS and Side Airbags become available?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shkeller55

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board and haven't found these two questions answered in my searches so far. My teenage daughter is interested in getting a Jeep Liberty and I'm trying to figure out when ABS brakes and side-curtain airbags became available. I don't know that much about the Jeep line, although I have a special place in my heart for Jeeps as my granddad taught me how to drive in 1967, when I was 12 years old, in his 1948 Willys. What a cool thing to learn to drive in.

Nice forum, by the way!

Scott in Atlanta

Last edited:

2003KJ

Reaction score
(welcome)!!!!

As for the ABS, it was optional (believe it or not) for most years, up until 05 or 06...can't remember which year off the top of my head that it became standard.

Side curtain air bags.......not too sure on those either, as not many people bring that topic up for discussion. I'm sure Marlon or somebody will chime in here. Sorry I couldn't be of too much help.

Enjoy the site!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ABS was a option since the KJ came out in '02,standard on '06+ KJ's(ESP is the devilnotcool.gif ).Never heard of a KJ with side curtian airbags though,maybe a new thing for the '06 and '07's.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that ESP would be the devil for a teenage girl though....that might just come in very handy.:D

shkeller55

Reaction score
Yes, ESP would come in very handy for her. She doesn't want to go off-road, she just wants a Liberty because she likes its looks. Since she's fairly inexperienced I want all the driver's assistance stuff I can get on it.

I've seen side-curtain airbags listed on some '07s but I'm not sure when they started offering them. So far I've seen very few used Liberties listed for sale with ABS though.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

2003KJ

Reaction score
One thing I would look closely at though, when you do find the right KJ for her, see what tires it has on it. If it's still the stock Goodyears, I'd look into replacing them as soon as possible.

Search around on here for our opinion of the factory Goodyears and you'll see why.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my advice would be to get an '06+ because the ABS and ESP/Traction Control became standard that year. As for the side airbags, I haven't heard of them myself either...but that probably started in '07 or something like that.

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have an 06. abs and esp were standard, i was thinking money so i did not look for the optional side curtain airbags but i know that was an option available.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was looking at 05's, side curtain air bags were around a $400 option. I also didn't see any 05's with them.

The Limited Models I saw all had ABS which was an option. The 05 Sports and Rennegades I looked at had neither.

Dave

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Not sure when side airbags became available. I WANT to say 2004.

ABS became standard in for '06.

ESP is *NOT* the devil. It works wonders both ON and OFFROAD.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since she's fairly inexperienced I want all the driver's assistance stuff I can get on it.
It's better to actually learn how to drive then releying on technology to do it for you,better in the long run and much safier.
ESP is *NOT* the devil. It works wonders both ON and OFFROAD.
It's worthless for the kinda offroading I do(will actually stop working after awhile due to overheating),and wears the brakes faster and will overheat the brakes to fast offroad so you don't have any when you need them,ABS is more of a hindurence then helpfull on the rocks and steep hill desents.More complicated and cost more when fails.

K.I.S.S.= Keep It Simple Stupid

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I imagine the list of standard equipment could have been different in the UK, but maybe not. I'll do some more research.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Not really, with the Liberty. The only things that are different about export KJs that I've noticed are trim color changes, and of course other European / Export requirements like side signals and rear fog lights.

SoDakJeep

Reaction score
they get the cool spare tire cover and liecense plate holder tahst what i want anyways hahah

shkeller55

Reaction score
Oops. I apologize gang, I looked around on Jeep's web site again and discovered that they still have the specs for the 2007 Liberty listed (I could have sworn I looked before posting this query and didn't find anything; maybe they just had the site down for maintenance that day). Anyway, they show side-curtain airbags as an option on the 2007 Limited Edition (and I think on all other models too).

I have seen a few Liberties listed for sale with side curtain airbags, but for the most part it seems that people don't go into that much detail in their used car ads.

Thanks for the discussion just the same, I learned some things that will be very useful in our vehicle search. Hope everyone's having a good holiday.

shkeller55

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. We ended up buying a 2006 Limited with side curtain airbags plus what seems like most all the other options. My daughter drives it and she loves it.

pipeliner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2002 2.5 CRD manual Sport had side curtain airbags as standard - but there are several differences between Australian spec KJs and US ones. The radio aerial for one - ours is printed on the right-hand rear fixed window. My Sport also had cruise control as standard - not sure if that was standard in the US. It certainly didn't have ABS.