Wheels skip when turning in 4WD, why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwmir

Reaction score
I was wondering why my 2003 Jeep Liberty's wheel skip/screech a bit when I try to take a turn when engaged in 4H or 4Lo?

2003KJ

Reaction score
It's very simple...it's called driveline binding. Any regular vehicle, or any 4x4 vehicle that's in 2wd mode has one wheel that spins freely to make up for the difference when going through a turn. When in 4x4 (a real 4x4 like on a Jeep or a truck or something), all wheels spin at the same speed regardless, and when taking sharp turns, there is no wheel to make up that difference in rotation when turning, and therefore you get driveline binding, or sometimes called wheel hop.

This is why you must not use 4x4 on dry pavement. Too much pressure from wheel hop will destroy the 4x4 system.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although they say to use it on ice, i find 4x4 part time (your 4x4HI) tend to slip and slide a lot more than 4x4 Full time (you don't have). I am not sure why, but 4x4HI should be use on unstable, rocky, mixed surfaces, such as dry later wet, dry with wet patches or ice patches on the road etc. That's what I do, otherwise I am on 4x4FT rest of the time.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, 4part time should never be used on black top. Thats a big no no. Thats why its called part time, you should only use it "part of the time." 8-[ This mode locks the front and rear axles together, thats why you get driveline binding(also known as, lets break drivetrain stuff!)... :-s

AnthologyCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmmm? Question about Part-Time and Full-Time 4x4

jeepjeepster said:
Hmm, 4part time should never be used on black top. Thats a big no no. Thats why its called part time, you should only use it "part of the time." 8-[ This mode locks the front and rear axles together, thats why you get driveline binding(also known as, lets break drivetrain stuff!)... :-s

OK, when should one use part-time and full-time?

what about in heavy rain? Snow, or ice? Which should we use in each case, and why?

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use full time, anytime you feel like it. (Think of it as an AWD car)

However if the roads are snow packed, icy, gravel or mud / dirt then I would use part time. If you get to an area that has been cleared of snow, ice then go back to full time or in my case 2wd so as not to cause driveline binding.

The same goes for dirt or rock, if it is hard packed or a large area of say granite, use full time or 2wd if you can.

On a severe incline then I would use 4L wether it's loose rock, dirt, grass.

General rule of thumb- 4x4= expensive to fix if you don't know what you are doing.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wish.. I love my 4x4FT on my selec trac, but I hate the fact that it has meshing problems and cause "backlash", which I explained a few topics back. During slow traffic or in a stop and go conditions such as long bad terrange I hate to hear the Bang when I accellarate after a slow-down.

That's why it can never feel like AWD which doesn't have the backlash Jeep has.

Also true full time AWD ***** (the ones you cannot disengage) :-#

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:

I wish.. I love my 4x4FT on my selec trac, but I hate the fact that it has meshing problems and cause "backlash", which I explained a few topics back. During slow traffic or in a stop and go conditions such as long bad terrange I hate to hear the Bang when I accellarate after a slow-down.

That's why it can never feel like AWD which doesn't have the backlash Jeep has.

Also true full time AWD ***** (the ones you cannot disengage) :-#

Get a powertrax, it makes that problem about 10times worse. On the gas"BANG", off the gas "BANG". Its a really cool feature!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it is true BANG JEEP, then.. eh? \:D/

Is there anyway to fix it/make it less bangy? 8-[

AnthologyCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kwmir said:
I was wondering why my 2003 Jeep Liberty's wheel skip/screech a bit when I try to take a turn when engaged in 4H or 4Lo?

kwmir,

Hey, I was wondering this as well ................... the same problem you were having with the skipping in 4x4 mode.

Here's the solution: When you move the gear box to Full-Time 4WD, take an extra second to move the Liberty from "Drive - to - Reverse - then back to - Drive again".

I just spoke with the Dealer ................. and then he pointed it out in the instruction manual of the Jeep.

What's happening is that when you shift from 2wd to Part time, or Full time ............. the gearing may not be positioned correctly at the time ............ by shifting in and out of reverse, you're making sure that the teeth of the gearing is getting "set" correctly.

I hope this helps.

SquirrelWJ

Reaction score
Just passing through but thought I might be able to lend a hand answering this question... as it comes up a lot in the Grand Cherokee forums as well.

I know I'll probably repeat information but who knows... this might be useful :p

4WD Part Time: Locks your front and rear so that they spin at the same speed. The "hopping" occurs when you turn because you're forcing the inside of the turn to spin at the same speed as the outside. Without a limited slip or a locker, really only one rear wheel and one front wheel spin. On my Grand it's the rear driverside, and front passenger... well, it was anyway when I highcentered on that rock... but I'm getting sidetracked here. On dirt roads,snow/ice, this isn't an issue, as the terrain allows for slippage. Pavement does not. Typically I've only found this useful in Off-Road situations. Very useful when you need your front end to help pull you, when the rear is slipping way too much.

4WD Full Time: You may or may not have it (can't remember if libby's get it?), but it acts as previously stated.. an AWD system. Instead of just one tire up front and one tire in the rear spinning, like it would in 4WD PT, all the tires are pulling. However, they're not forced to spin at the same speeds, so they can spin as much as they want. The problem is, the amount of power applied to the tires is the same as the tire that's slipping the most. Supposedly you could put a tire in the air and not be able to move. This sounds kind of backwards and a bad idea...however, it does prove rather useful. In a snow and ice situation, this can actually help from say, having your rear tires spin too much, and spin you around. It would lessen the power so the butt end doesn't cross the front, and your front tires are still receiving a bit of power for you to steer.

Very useful in on-road driving when the weather is sporadic or to help keep the vehicle from sliding around too much.

4Lo: Does the same thing as 4Hi PT, but as the name implies, adds in a buttload of low-end power. Very useful in offroading situations when encountering some nasty situations. Should never be used at speeds over 20mph, or on road (same deal that it ties the front to the rear and can cause damage). Also very useful when offroading and you're coming down a steep incline. Because of the low-range, it'll slow your vehicle down so you have better control and won't have to rely as heavily on your brakes.

Or so that's how I've been informed these past few years with my jeep. :)

OH! Almost forgot... the previous poster is correct that putting your vehicle in reverse is a good way to engage the four wheel drive. Hope this clarrified something, although you guys seemed to have it pretty much covered.