Wheeling with no lift???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dr_love2112

Reaction score
does anyone wheel with no lift (i did the clevis) and just 225 wide a/t tires???

i think the liberty is very capable, heres my list of add-ons

1.Window tint-200
2. 225/75r16 A/T-380
3. Mopar skids-??? good source?
4. front reciever hitch-XJ 105 and hitch shackle- 35

I dont do big ole mud holes, i just do some trail riding, but i also want it to be family friendly and my daily driver

Any Comments about my approch....good or bad

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh the KJ is very capable in the right conditions, but don't push it too far over the limits, you might find yourself stuck. Ground clearance is the big issue I had with the stock KJ....NOT ENOUGH!! for a 4x4. :mad:
So I fixed that issue with a coil lift.:D Now I can go where I want to and drive.gif where I shouldn't.:p

But just on a normal trail, I don't think you should have too many hang ups.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone wheel with no lift (i did the clevis) and just 225 wide a/t tires???

i think the liberty is very capable, heres my list of add-ons

1.Window tint-200
2. 225/75r16 A/T-380
3. Mopar skids-??? good source?
4. front reciever hitch-XJ 105 and hitch shackle- 35

I dont do big ole mud holes, i just do some trail riding, but i also want it to be family friendly and my daily driver

Any Comments about my approch....good or bad

100% no-lift wheeling here. Never had a problem. One can wheel with no lift if, like Clint Eastwood said, a man knows his limitations.

You can even go on some trails that people might say you shouldn't do without a lift, but if you have an eye for the best line, you can do those too. Yes, sometimes that requires a spotter or two to make sure you're not getting yourself hung up on something.

And lift or no lift, thing long and hard before tackling any mud. Just hit youtube and you will see the biggest, gnarlyest 4x4's stuck in mud. Mud should be feared and respected.

sconroy325

Reaction score
I agree with everyone here!!!

Biggest thing is take your time and pick the right line and no worries!!

Oh and never care what anyone else thinks....that's when people make stupid decisions on the trail......

Meaning....don't try and be a hero

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do not expect much and you will not be let down
we tried to run a trail that was rated 3-5 on the Jeep Jamboree 1-10 scale
when we had ours stock with AT's and full skids and hooks
sadly we had to park it do to holding up the line ,getting stuck to often
it was a decision that me and my wife along with the trail guides made
good thing we had my TJ
now that same trail with the MTR's and lift is almost easy depending on how wet it is

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Skids are far more important than a lift. If you have the means I recommend Skid Row over MOPAR. I had a rock go through my ****** skid like tissue paper taking out my oil filter in the process. I was stranded in a blizzard for 3 hours while friends went into town to get me more oil and a new filter. I am lifted too which goes to show that no matter how much you lift, there's always going to be something.

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
runnin stock on 215/75R16's have no problems as long as im choosing the right line. my one skid holds up well, need to buy more tho.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am stock height. Clearance is an issue though. I have been high centered a couple of times.

Dave

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Skids are far more important than a lift. If you have the means I recommend Skid Row over MOPAR. I had a rock go through my ****** skid like tissue paper taking out my oil filter in the process. I was stranded in a blizzard for 3 hours while friends went into town to get me more oil and a new filter. I am lifted too which goes to show that no matter how much you lift, there's always going to be something.

Well I wouldn't go as far as saying "skids are far more important that a lift". Where I was yesterday, I would not have made it through the trail if I was not lifted, and if I were not lifted to be able to go through the trail in the first place, then the skids are a mute point in that respect...as far as skids go, I never once hit anything on the underside since I have the ground clearance from the lift. I have to install my skids this week and try the same trail again for curiosoty sake.

So I think ground clearance is needed first, then skids. They are both important....but if you had enough ground clearance,then skids are a back up safety measure.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am stock height. Clearance is an issue though. I have been high centered a couple of times.

Dave

Speaking on a purely anecdotal personal basis, I've found that when I was in a potential high-center situation, another 1-3" of lift wouldn't have made any difference. for me, having a lift would minimize the scraping on the higher rocks that stick up out of the trail.

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I wouldn't go as far as saying "skids are far more important that a lift". Where I was yesterday, I would not have made it through the trail if I was not lifted, and if I were not lifted to be able to go through the trail in the first place, then the skids are a mute point in that respect...as far as skids go, I never once hit anything on the underside since I have the ground clearance from the lift. I have to install my skids this week and try the same trail again for curiosoty sake.

So I think ground clearance is needed first, then skids. They are both important....but if you had enough ground clearance,then skids are a back up safety measure.

There's no such thing as "enough ground clearance" No matter how much lift you put on your Jeep there's always going to be something. I am lifted with 32" tires and the rock that went though my ****** skid was on a dirt road (by MOAB standards). Skids and (good ones at that) will make sure you get home. Although my skid folded, it saved the ****** pan and after some oil I made it home.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It's the basic chicken or egg senario....like I said both are equally important.:D

Yah....but if you HAVE to get one, get the skids...you'll get more use if you're otherwise stock.:D