Wheel upgrade question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frommy

Reaction score
I've been reading every Cragar Soft 8 post I could find. I figured I would ask a question about an upgrade I want to do.

I currently am running Goodyear Wrangler ST P215/75R16 on the stock allow rims. I really want to get rid of the nasty rims (they are rusting up and look almost like hub caps).

Would I have problems with rubbing on the Cragar Soft 8's 16x7? I figured the smaller goodyear tires would be ok. I see alot of people who upgrade to the Soft 8's also go for bigger tires but I want to keep the ones I currently have.

Any thoughts? Or black rims that are as cheap as and good looking as Cragar's?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've been reading every Cragar Soft 8 post I could find. I figured I would ask a question about an upgrade I want to do.

I currently am running Goodyear Wrangler ST P215/75R16 on the stock allow rims. I really want to get rid of the nasty rims (they are rusting up and look almost like hub caps).

Would I have problems with rubbing on the Cragar Soft 8's 16x7? I figured the smaller goodyear tires would be ok. I see alot of people who upgrade to the Soft 8's also go for bigger tires but I want to keep the ones I currently have.

Any thoughts? Or black rims that are as cheap as and good looking as Cragar's?

I think the tires will fit the wheels.....

As for the rims, someone (American Steel??) makes a no name version of it. Procomp also has simualar rims, and some are as low as $50.....:)

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

how are your Alloy's rusting?
they are a ,well, alloy thus they should not rust
the OE steel wheels maybe after some rock rash ,mine did

also keep in mind that if you give up the Alloy rim and replace with a seel rim then that is sort of a down grade
the alloys #1 fit right as far as width vs back spacing
and #2 they are much lighter so they balance easier
this is why when I got the free alloys for my TJ I jumped on them
yup thats right I took steel wheels off and put alloys on to a trail mostly rig