Wheel Flare Bolts & Cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so does anyone have any idea how to get dirt/salt/other-stuff-which-I-can't-determine-what-it-is out of the bolts on the Renegade wheel flares? I've tried everything I can think of...pressure washer, air compressor, scrubbing, cloth over a paper clip to try to scrape it out...but nothing seems to work! There's big white globs of stuff in there which I think might be wax that was left on there to dry before I had the KJ, and it's driving me nuts (even if nobody else would ever see it). I don't want to take the bolt covers (or whatever you want to call them) off though, because they're loose enough as it is, and I don't want to risk being unable to reattach them.

Is there any sort of magic cleaning spray I could use?

Also, is it worth it to get the KJ an underbody wash and/or have someone spray protectant on the underbody if there's already almost 120k on it?

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...keyboard dust cleaner after a hot water soak? Might just be small enough and have enough "oomph" to break up the grime and push it out. If not, maybe let some degreaser sit in there for a few minutes and/or some scalding hot water and try to pressure it out again.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Tooth pic, Q tip....

As far as the under carriage, clean it, touch up rust with paint, and then have it protected...