What's your average gas mileage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003KJ

Reaction score
thecause17 said:
All my driving is mixed city/highway, and I average about 19.5mpg doing that. I did take a highway trip last week, and I got 22mpg, with a passenger, car load of stuff, and running the A/C the whole time.

Thats about what I usually get on the highway...and i don't use my cruise unless i'm going to the beach. When i go up to the mountains in the fall I can get about 21-22 pretty easily, like i said no cruise, and going up and down mountains all day (alot of gear changing). I usually also stop alot of places when i'm up in the mountains, so thats alot of re-starts also.

JeepMonkey1965

Reaction score
I've been driving diesels for a number of years, first the 2.5CRD (5-speed manual) and then the 2.8 (6 speed manual) and fuel consumption wasn't a big issue.

Having moved to a 3.7 V6 Auto I've just recently installed a HICLONE into my air intake to see if I could improve consumption. Not had a great deal of time to evaluate it but can state the following. Driving at 65 MPH on a lengthy journey it was possible to achieve 27.5 MPG (US Gallon) but in real life with traffic, etc 24 MPG US) is possible.

My feeling is that a well serviced engine, a light right foot and common sense is the secret so far as urban or combined driving is concerned but the HICLONE looks to have given me almost a 10% increase on Extra Urban. Before installing I could achieve 27 MPG (UK) and as I say, after anything between 29 & 33 MPG (UK) depending upon conditions.

It's also a fact that leaving the wife, kids and dog at home will increase MPG and the wind noise is lower :-#

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just filled up today and figured my mpg. It was 17.4 and that's mixed city/hwy and I wasn't exactly being gentle with the throttle either!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
06Liberty said:
I just filled up today and figured my mpg. It was 17.4 and that's mixed city/hwy and I wasn't exactly being gentle with the throttle either!
What dealership did you get your Jeep from? I didn't notice the typical "Jordan Frazier Jeep" or "Jim Burke" stickers that those two LOVE to plaster on EVERY VEHICLE they sell.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I got mine from Benchmark Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge. That was about the first thing I did when I bought it was take that crap off, I hate those things!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
06Liberty said:
Well, I got mine from Benchmark Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge. That was about the first thing I did when I bought it was take that crap off, I hate those things!
I forgot all about Benchmark... they're notorious too.

Can you tell I spend a lot of time in Birmingham despite me living in the Detroit area? Heh, it's funny... people stare at me being in a 4x4 Jeep down there!

jeepgirl0385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just filled up today...the low fuel light was on (which I think is the first time in 3 years I have ever let it get that low!)...

My mpg was 19!!!!! That is so cool! I think I average between 16 and 18...my best was 21, which was on a trip of almost all highways!

I guess driving to my bf;s house is good for my fuel economy \:D/

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, I was kinda wondering how you knew about our dealerships cause I saw that you were in Detroit

Barry

Reaction score
I've got an 05' Libby with the CRD in it. I just turned 10K miles and have been keeping close tabs on the fuel consumption.
So far it's been 19.5 in town and a little over 24 on the highway (70-75 MPH cruise).
Of course I'd like to get the 30-31 MPG that some people claim they're getting with the CRD, but I'm pretty happy with it the way it is.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Barry said:
I've got an 05' Libby with the CRD in it. I just turned 10K miles and have been keeping close tabs on the fuel consumption.
So far it's been 19.5 in town and a little over 24 on the highway (70-75 MPH cruise).
Of course I'd like to get the 30-31 MPG that some people claim they're getting with the CRD, but I'm pretty happy with it the way it is.
Heh, that's what got me geeked up. I'm like, yay! I got over sticker with the 3.7L, figure I can do the same with this Jeep too...

I've been sorely disappointed, but hey, the papers are signed, so oh well. The good news is that... at least it sounds cool, lol

P4M

Reaction score
My 2004 Renny:

In town... 14-16
On the road... 19-21 @70mph

Best mpg I ever got was heading north with a south tailwind doing about 73mph... got 24-25mpg for about 80mins

I had a Toyota Matrix 4WD. It got 26-28mpg on the highway. That is about the best mileage you will get out of a 4WD vehicle right now.

I don't believe for a second that CRD engines are getting any more than 1-2mpg better than normal gas on the highway or city. It is widely known that the Liberty CRD's gas mileage sticker claims are wayyyy out of wack on dealer lots.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
P4M said:
My 2004 Renny:

In town... 14-16
On the road... 19-21 @70mph

Best mpg I ever got was heading north with a south tailwind doing about 73mph... got 24-25mpg for about 80mins

I had a Toyota Matrix 4WD. It got 26-28mpg on the highway. That is about the best mileage you will get out of a 4WD vehicle right now.

I don't believe for a second that CRD engines are getting any more than 1-2mpg better than normal gas on the highway or city. It is widely known that the Liberty CRD's gas mileage sticker claims are wayyyy out of wack on dealer lots.

There's absolutely no way in the world I could get 28.5MPG from my 3.7L Jeep, sorry.

(That's been my best number so far...)

The Toyota Matrix is not a 4WD. It's an AWD vehicle, there is a difference.