What's the trick...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mines been off for a long while.. got caked with mud and mucky stuff so I ripped it off never to put it back on.. don't think I used any special tool.. just a scredriver or something. those clip things arent too fancy

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
mines been off for a long while.. got caked with mud and mucky stuff so I ripped it off never to put it back on.. don't think I used any special tool.. just a scredriver or something. those clip things arent too fancy

How much hotter does your hood get?
I'm about to add hood vents and am wondering if I should even bother
re-installing that material once I'm done with the venting?

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KD Tools sells a set of three trim removal pliers that work really well. They're designed to remove all the plastic push pins and rivets and crap that auto manufacturers use.

KD part number..... 41850

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I removed mine using the flathead screwdriver method - the plastic plugs came out fairly easy. The insulation under my hood was shredded from the seized idler pulley incident last summer - the shredded belt also shredded that part of of the insulation... and it was getting everywhere. :mad: So I removed it this spring. No ill-effects... yet. :rolleyes:

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if you don't have that blanket in place could the paint on your hood start to blister? I know it gets some hot under that hood on a hot summers day.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The paint will not blister. Most likely the paint gets much hotter from sitting in the sun.

Its more for sound deadening than anything. And if anyone gets any crazy ideas, its NOT for putting out a fire.

Midgear

Reaction score
I hate to be ********, but why exactly is that insulation there.. keep the heat off the hood? doesn't the hood see more heat than that in the dead of summer with the sun blistering down on it?

Mike Phelps

Reaction score
To removing the under hood insulation mat/blanket?
Do you need a trim remover tool or will a modified putty
knife with a slot cut into it work to get in between the
hoods sheet metal and the plastic retainer clip?
Pry it slightly with a flat head screwdriver then use a claw hammer. Easy pull so you don’t snap it off.