What's the trick to rear rotors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abozic75

Reaction score
I am trying to replace the rear rotors on my 04 Liberty. Is there some sneaky little secret to how to remove the old rotors? I can't get them off. I beat the h*&& out of them with a hammer, but they won't break loose. Do I need a big gear puller or something like that to get these things off? I don't want to damage anything.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am trying to replace the rear rotors on my 04 Liberty. Is there some sneaky little secret to how to remove the old rotors? I can't get them off. I beat the h*&& out of them with a hammer, but they won't break loose. Do I need a big gear puller or something like that to get these things off? I don't want to damage anything.
Is your parking brake set? If so release the parking brake and the rotors will come off.The rear rotor "hat" is the parking brake "drum",so under/behind the rotors is your parking brake.If the parking brake is off you need to adjust the parking brake shoes away from the rotor "hat" to remove the rotor(adjusted just like the older drum brakes),and you'll need new rotors and parking brake shoes then.

abozic75

Reaction score
Thanks. I know the parking brake wasn't on, I did put it on just to verify thats what was inside the drum part of the rotor. I removed the rubber plug but did not see an adjustment wheel to back off the shoes. I'll double check that again to make sure.

abozic75

Reaction score
Thanks again. You guys are good. This is great info on here. Hope I can contribute soon.