What's that sound in my 02 Liberty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billy Bob

Reaction score
My 02 Liberty makes an odd whirring or buzzing sound when I first start it up in very cold weather. It buzzes for approximately 30 t0 60 seconds then disappears. Its been doing this for at least 3 to 4 years but I don't remember it occuring when it was new. Thought I read some where on this forum a year ago or so that it might be the fuel pump but its been a long time. This is most noticeable when temperatures fall below 25. Anyone out there have any ideas?

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
popular subject today....must be real cold everywhere.
It's most likely just the power steering pump.... read a few of the other posts, some have ideas on how to minimize the sound

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 02 Liberty makes an odd whirring or buzzing sound when I first start it up in very cold weather. It buzzes for approximately 30 t0 60 seconds then disappears. Its been doing this for at least 3 to 4 years but I don't remember it occuring when it was new. Thought I read some where on this forum a year ago or so that it might be the fuel pump but its been a long time. This is most noticeable when temperatures fall below 25. Anyone out there have any ideas?

move where the temps dont often fall below 25*
Then the noise will go away

This is like me switching to a lighter oil in the TJ because when temps fall below 40* it taps at start up
yeah the 4.0 does that with 10W30 when it is cold
so I let it tap
maybe you should let it buzz ,just dont drive it

Maine_Buzzard

Reaction score
Only first thing in the morning, not when warmed up? Try moving the steering wheel back and forth a bit while it's squealing. If it changes, it's the power steering pump.

Mine did it for years, never knew if the pump was shaving metal and felt like having it fixed. Sad to say, I was traveling and had no time in December to fix it myself. Shop replaced the pump, Idler, and tensioner to get most all of the squeeks out of the serpentine belt. Should have done the water pump too, just for grins. About $350 for all. 126K on my 02.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Jeep sort of makes a whining sound when it's REAL cold (0*F or below) but it goes away within 10 seconds so I just attribute it to my Jeep being extremely unhappy about having to move its gears :)

Billy Bob

Reaction score
My thanks to everyone's responces. Yeah, just didn't know how unusual this noise was. So, I figured I'd ask the experts. Drive safe.

Jax2A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the fluid color if it's dark to black, it won't be long til the pump spits out the pulley shaft. Mine did it at about 93k miles. The noise just kept getting louder and lasting longer as it built up to the grand finally.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Jeep does this too- a loud whine when I crank the cold engine. The intensity of the noise gets worse the colder it is, but the noise always goes away immediately. Above about 45 degrees F, it doesn't do it at all.

I also get suspension creaking over bumps when it's below 40 outside. I guess my Jeep just doesn't like the cold.

Latest posts

Members online