Whats a good after market speaker for the doors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it is a 5 1/4 existing speaker so I a would assume that I would naturally want to put in a 5 1/4 alpine sps-13c2 (has the best range and a 92db sensitivity)

but crutchfield says I can put all the way up to 6 3/4 speakers in there...... so WTF?

I really don't want to d oany extra drilling on this I just want to connect then install. any thoughts?

sqliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are 6.5's and if you get them from crutchfield you can get the adapters so there will be no extra drilling on your part. The Alpine type R or Type X are nice. I myself run Diamond Audio, these are very nice as well.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Polk Audio. I based that decision on user reviews.
Car Domain also gives free speaker mounting brackets, but you have to request it (at least I had to when I got mine).

I recommend an amp to run your new speakers (and don't forget about your dash speakers, too).

Liber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about a 4 channle amp but I already have a top of the line kenwood tossing out 22 RMS per ch. I'm pretty happy with that taking into consideration how much room an amp takes up and I'd also have to spend money on better speakers and the amp.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I had the whole 22Watt RMS X 4 thing going on my HU, too...sounds okay, but it didn't sound too 'crystal' at high volumes, which is why I added an amp (tucked away under my driver seat, by the way).

Alpine speakers tend to require somewhere around 50W RMS each (if you like to play it loud). Those little spurts of power from your HU won't be enough to keep up with them.

But give it a shot...if you are satisfied, then that's great! You can always add an amp later if you're not.

I wish I had gotten Alpines...would've fit well with my Alpine amp. ](*,)

Liber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm.... you pose an interesting thought... the only reason I want better speakers is so that I can hear music when I have all the windows down. sooooo...... theeeennnnn...... I suppose since the type S alpines have a peak of 175 and hold 2-45 RMS...... then if I were to get a cheap amp kicking about 35-40 Rms peak 150.... I should be getting some good sound....

BUT.......

if I'm going to get an amp I might as well go type R Alpines which peak 250 needing 50 RMS (thus I will blow them with out an amp) then get a badass amp and...

ahhh shit!! see this is what I have been wrestling with for the last 3 months. not to mention I don't know how to install a damn amp (well I'm not an idiot I'm sure I could figure it out but I don't know how to run wires)

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL! You sound like me six months ago. Back then it was my first for everything, too. Amp installation was the most intimidating...I know the feeling. But I learned a lot from this forum and car audio forums. Once you figure it out, it's all pretty simple. And it's a lot of fun, too.

Well, there are infinite theories on amps and speakers. But (IMO), if you're going with the Type S (45W RMS) ones you mentioned, I'd recommend you use the MRP-F250 to power them. I'm not sure if that amp fits under the seat, though. It's about an inch wider than mine and mine barely fits.

Car audio is an addiction. I bet in a couple weeks you'll be asking about subs. (biggrin)

jp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what size the dash speakers are? Will the tweeters from a component speaker system fit?

sqliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really is an addiction.There is a ton you can do with audio in the liberty,yes you can mount a component tweeter in the dash. I am waiting for my cargo rack from all j product to reclaim some cargo space. Take a look at the car stereo link in my sig to check out what I did.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jp1 said:
Anyone know what size the dash speakers are? Will the tweeters from a component speaker system fit?

The dash speakers are 2 (and something) inches, I think. As far as I know there is no such aftermarket speaker in the world that size with that sort of mount. You'll have to fabricate a mount that'll hold the tweeters in place (it's real simple; just be creative). Wiring the tweeter to the crossover...that's a different story from what I hear. I wimped out and just bought seperate tweeters. (biggrin)

Liber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i can't seem to find good tweeters. I want my tweeters to have a hi freq range at least something over 27k..... but the only ones I can find that do that are friggin polk and there like $100. Also I looked at your stereo mount in your sig...

and holy f#ckin hell man, thats an insane amount if stuff to put in a KJ, are you trying to bring music to remote parts of Africa? Cause I think they might be able to hear you. Anyway it looks nice.

another quick question. Can someone explain WTF makes component speakers so speacial, and if I wear to get some, where would I put that cross over thingy?

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Liber said:
another quick question. Can someone explain WTF makes component speakers so speacial, and if I wear to get some, where would I put that cross over thingy?

I had my crossovers mounted in the doors. Later i moved then behind the glovebox. There is plenty of room back there.
Check the link in my sig to see my install.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Liber said:
i can't seem to find good tweeters. the only ones I can find that do that are friggin polk and there like $100...

Can someone explain WTF makes component speakers so speacial,

Component speakers are "special" because the tweeter and woofer run seperately, so they don't get in each others' way (like full range ones) and let them perform at their full potential. Basically, they just sound better.

As for the tweeters...$100 isn't that bad, really. You'll be looking in the $80-$180 price range for a nice set of tweeters. They cost just as much as regular, full range speakers.

Latest posts

Members online