what years best KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rattlesnake

Reaction score
From Rattlesnake
Having been an XJ owner for many years, I knew which years were better. Are there any special years and /or body models to look for which would be better for off road and lift kits??
Snake

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only differences i know of are the 02s have 45RFE ****** and i think 03+ have the 42RLE. 45RFE is stronger. and 06s are notorious for being the worst for breaking window regulators. all other differences are cosmetic or optional i believe. such as limited slip or renegade package. oh another thing is 02s and the rare 03 are what they call "prelowered" the coils are actually longer than the newer ones. but by now they are sagged so it doesnt matter anymore. hope this helps

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kinda favour the 05's, and black Renegades in particular. But hey, that's just me. Mine's got 116000 kms (72500 miles) on it and no real trouble yet.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
02's also had drum brakes (rear) for the most part, 06's and up got the ESP/ABS/BAS systems standard. ABS was an option on 05's and down. And the CRD from 05-06, and the 2.4 for 02-05. And the cloth in the 05+ is notorious for staining.

Other than that, I can't think of much else besides cosmetics, we could write a book with just that. :)

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally agree about the fabric staining in the '05s. We get in with moist bathing suits after putting the boat back on the trailer and we all leave "bum prints" in the seats. Good thing my kids are still kinda small. I don't mind, it's all just evidence that we had a good time.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd look for an '03 that was made before April. you'd get the 45rfe and most likely rear discs.
I love my 04, but man I wish it had the 45rfe. I had an 03 with the 45 and I still miss it. It just felt more solid.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
If ThunderbirdJunkie's '02 were to meet an untimely demise, he would look for another '02 with an auto, or an '05 Sport or Rennie with a stick.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
'05. NSG370 6 speed/ 241j combo. No electronic nannies & abs was optional. Yes, the seats stain of you ook at them wrong. But covers start at$20....

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The staining seats would drive me nuts....I get bothered when I find a dark spot on my leather...

rattlesnake

Reaction score
Thanks guys, that gives me a little ammo to work with.

My XJ has 6' Skyjacker lift with 33", articulation links, Asian auto ******, shock extenders, OPEN AXLES, KN filter system, extra electric fans, the good old 6 cyl, 118,000 miles and still in great shape

uctke283

Full Access Member
Reaction score
02' ftw
45RFE, stock front suspension skid, pre-lowered. Mine has 101k on it and it still sits higher than most other KJ's I've seen around here.

mine to...my '02 (prelowered) is about 2 inches higher than my wifes 04. I don't think it has really sagged all that much, but does have 138,000 miles on it...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.