What to Buy? [Component Tweeters - '02]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok SO this isnt Brian, This is his wife, Jess. Yes, the smart one who bought the liberty. As some of you know, my hubby is going to be MIA for a few months. Military men, geez!

Anyways, So I am the one who always has last deciding vote as to what he does and doesnt do to my Jeep. (But dont tell him I said that because I let him believe otherwise)

So anyways, more recently he replaced the stock speakers in our KJ with a nice set of pioneers, but he wants to replace the things in the dash. Ok I'm a car girl but not a car stereo girl. I can fix just about anyting in the car, but the stereo. But while he is gone, I wanted to suprise him for his birthday with a project for the car when he comes home in a few months. So what the hell are those stupid speaker type things in my dash, and what would you recommend I buy to replace them? I need some help with this one ASAP, because there is a big sale this weekend around here and I thought I'd go check it out and see what they had.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Jess

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Yup definetly tweeters. Depends on how much you want to spend really, because like anything there are low, middle, and high end stuff. I myself like infinity and Boston Acoustics.

Bennett

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. But now, does anyone know what size I need. Money, its an object, but I can decide that after i get some picked out. But does anyone know,

2002 KJ limited, premium sound, any one know what size I would need? Does size matter? Hahahah

I'd ask him, but I want it to be a suprise.

:)
Jess

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, the small speakers in the dash are the component tweeters (high frequency speakers).

From what i've heard, the tweeters on the liberty are a real pain to replace: you have to make a custom mount to make them stay properly.

If you wanted to replace the head unit, however, that's a much easier task - I did that in about 30 minutes and it came out great (see my photos for details)

ixian

Reaction score
Se7enLC,
So you replaced only the head unit and not the factory speakers? Did you have the "premium" Infinity factory ones?
Did you add a sub?
Bobby

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replaced the head unit and not the factory speakers. I just had the standard set of speakers that came with whatever the cheapest radio was (in the case of the 05, it's a 6 speaker set with the single CD player). I didn't add a sub (yet), but I may do that when I eventually replace the factory speakers

raceinfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IF THE DOOR SPEAKERS HAVE ALREDY BEEN REPLACED WITH PIONEERS,YOU SHOULD STICK WITH PIONEER TWEETERS,IT'S BEST TO HAVE THE SAME BRAND THROUGH OUT WITH SPEAKERS THERE ALL DONE DIFFERANT,AT LEAST THAT'S WHAT THE GUY I DEAL WITH FOR CAR STEREO STUFF HAS TOLD ME IN THE PAST,PLUS THEY SHOULDN'T BE THAT EXPENSIVE,& THE SOUND QUALITY WILL BE THE SAME THROUGH OUT ALL THE SPEAKERS BY STICKING WITH THE SAME COMPANY,HOPE THIS HELPS