What Tires Will Fit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoldenRam

Reaction score
I know everyone asks this questions and searching the forum turns up different results from different people. I was looking at the BFG website at tire sizes and noticed the section width will change depending on the wheel size. I'd like to see if I could get some clarification here. What size tires do you run, what size wheels are they on, how much lift and did you have to trim? I'd personally like information on the 2.5" lift but other people may be looking for something else.

Actual Tire Size on Wheel

Wheel Size....... (16 x 7) .......... (16 x 8)

Stock Tire
235/70R16 .... (29.1 x 9.5) ..... (29.1 x 9.9)

31" Tire
245/75R16 .... (30.6 x 9.7) .... (30.6 x 10.1)
255/70R16 ... (30.2 x 10.0) ... (30.2 x 10.4)
265/70R16 ... (30.7 x 10.3) ... (30.7 x 10.7)

Mutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2.5" lift (ha ha) and a true 31"x10.50" tire, on a 15"x8 wheel with 3.750" backspacing, with no trimming and minimal rubbing. Of course the pinch weld did need to be beaten over, I rolled the rear fender lip under the rear door flares and secured the flares using aluminum rivets.

Also, I added a 1/2" poly spacer in the rear and alleviated almost all the rear rubbing. Will be adding another 1/2" spacer in the rear this week and seeing how that goes.

Also, keep in mind that not all 2.5" lifts are created equal, some create greater lifts than others.

GoldenRam

Reaction score
I have a Rusty's 2.5" coil lift coming and I was going to go with the same tires and wheels except 4.5" bs. Do you think that would rub anymore or less.

Also, do you have any pictures? I'd love to see what mine will look like when I get all my $$ together.

The 31x10.5 on an 8" wheel measures the same as a 265/70R16 on a 7" wheel.

Mutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

While I'm not familiar with the Rusty's lift, I'd venture to guess that you are going to experience substantially more rubbing due to less net lift height.

GoldenRam

Reaction score
Nice ride! I can't wait to get mine together. I don't know that much about other lifts or the spacers you're talking about. I'll have to look into those.

GoldenRam

Reaction score
So, this is what I've come up with. I'm going to do a Rusty's coil lift and maybe the clevis lift (once I find out more information on that) so I was looking for people that have a lift from 2-3".

As for rubbing on the sway bar, I looked at people with stock wheels since they have the most bs that I know of. I've seen one person of many with 245/75's that rubbed at full lock, the couple of people I saw with 255/70's reported minor rubbing and I think all people with 265/70's. I calculated the distance to the outside edge of the wheel.

(Actual Section Width - Wheel Width) / 2 + Back Spacing = Distance to Inside Edge of Tire

The 245's @ 7.0", the 255's @ 7.1", and the 265's @ 7.25". It looks like 7" is really the max without hitting the sway bar.

As for needing to trim the wheel well, that's a little more difficult to figure out. This probably depends a lot on net lift. I gave it a shot anyway. I calculated the straight line distance from the center of the wheel where it mounts.

Actual Section Width - Distance to Inside Edge of Tire = Distance to Outside Edge of Tire

Actual Tire Diameter / 2 = Tire Radius

Square Root of (Distance to Outside Edge of Tire ^ 2 + Tire Radius ^ 2) = Distance to Corner

On stock wheels the 245/75's @ 15.5" the 255/70's @ 15.38" and the 265/70's @ 15.65". From what I've seen the 245/75's on stock wheels are okay, maybe minor rubbing but nothing to worry about, 255/70's are okay and the 265/70's need minor trimming (fog light door, maybe the pinch weld). If you increase the wheel width to 8", which also increases the section width and you decrease the bs by 1" of the 265/70's, the distance to the corner increases to 16.10" and requires quite a bit more trimming.

Does this sound about right? I know it won't be exact but closer than random posts from people with all different components. BTW, I used the BFG website for section width. And thanks to Excel, it was easy to calculate.