What tires do I need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KJ has almost 70,000 km (43,500 mi) and 7 years old... and the tires (G-Y SR-A 235/70R16) are getting tired :D

Well... It's time to start some research about tires, rims, lifts, etc... and here are the first of many many questions... :p

I wanna go for either 31x10.5R15 or 265/70R16... It would be awesome to keep my current rims (16x7 Limited rims)... If I have to change them, I appreciate to know to what BS aim... For budget reasons I'll probably go for 15x7 steel rims (Cragar Soft 8)... If I win the lottery, for Moabs (biggthumpup)

If you ask me, I want something like the most asphalt oriented MT tires...
with the best wear possible... but I don't know... btw I never drive over 70mph.

To clear those tires, I'm planning to put OME 790/948 (some day I want to put an ARB bull bar) and Bilsteins... I'm willing to put 3/8'' plates, isolators, bumpstops, hammering down the pinch welds and modify the fog lights doors... The objective it's almost nothing: no rubbing, don't tear apart the fender flares, gain at least 1'' travel in the front suspension and don't blow the CV's...

My KJ is DD and mostly the wife's ride, but I want to the KJ still performs well off-road...

Thanks in advance :)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You need round tires. :D

So are you going to be lifted yet? Go for a 245/70/17 if you'll be lifted. Tire wise, Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs might be of interest to you, AT/MT hybrid.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
really think hard about the 790s without a ARB up there already, someday if its two weeks OK, if its 8-12 months, I would not.

Check around for MOABs I bought 5 with tires for less than what soft 8s are that everyone has !

265-70-16s are going to rub with stock wheels more than likely when turned full

Never run over 70? I never run under 70 on the road with my setup and no problems.
Duratracs are running great so far have over 15,500 on them so far great in snow, rain, hail, and mud

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you get Duratracks down where you are Alex?

Dave

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go for a 245/70/17 if you'll be lifted.
I want either 265mm or 10.5'', and 16'' or 15'' rims.

really think hard about the 790s without a ARB up there already, someday if its two weeks OK, if its 8-12 months, I would not.
Why?

Check around for MOABs I bought 5 with tires for less than what soft 8s are that everyone has !
Where I live, the Moab rims are rather rare... each goes about USD 320 new :eek:

265-70-16s are going to rub with stock wheels more than likely when turned full
What should I do then? Change the rims or modify the steering?

Can you get Duratracks down where you are Alex?

Dave
Sadly no... that why I started pondering about 15'' rims...

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Available here in 265/70R16 AT:
  • Pirelli Scorpion ATR
  • Cooper Discoverer ATR y ST
  • Bridgestone Revos
  • Toyo OpenCountry
  • BFG AT T/A KO
  • Good-Year AT and AT/S
  • Dunlop AT3
  • General Grabber AT
  • Hankook Dynapro RF10

Available here in 31x10.5R15 AT:
  • General Grabber AT
  • Toyo OpenCountry
  • BFG AT T/A KO
  • Cooper Discoverer ATR y ST
  • Hankook Dynapro RF10
  • Dunlop AT2
  • Good-Year AT and AT/S
  • Michelin LTX A/T
  • Michelin LTX A/T 2

Available here in 265/70R16 MT:
  • Cooper Discoverer STT
  • Dunlop MT2
  • Hankook Dynapro MT RT03

Available here in 31x10.5R15 MT:
  • BFG MT T/A
  • BFG MT T/A KM2
  • Good-Year MT/R
  • Hankook Dynapro MT RT03
  • Dunlop MT1
  • Cooper Discoverer STT

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to keep your current wheels (like what is stated in the OP) run 245/75/16's. If you really want a 32" tire run 235/85/16's. Both sizes work great on stock rims and wont rub... much. Any of those MT's you have listed should be available in either size; especially 245/75, as that is a popular pickup truck size.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
without some weight up front the 790s are going to ride rough, with the ARB up there is just enough to let it ride good

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
without some weight up front the 790s are going to ride rough, with the ARB up there is just enough to let it ride good
I think I can live with just rough ride for a few months... I thought it was something worse...

Lift + tires + bumper it's too much money (for me) to do it once... lift, then tires, then bumper... with 6 months (giving or taking) in between...

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 265/75-16s TOYO Open Contry's on my full size 2wd Dodge PU, and love them. They're great on-road and been good for the ocasionall "off road" trip as well.

I also have the same TOYO's (235/60-17) on my 4wd Liberty. The only complaint is the tread wasn't as deep, and they seem to only last about 40K (50K tire).

I recently added OME springs to the Libby, and measured out at about 2-1/2" lift. With both vehicles side-by-side, I would think the 265's would look great on the liberty, but probably rub all over the place when turning. I wish they shared the same bolt pattern as I would swap them out for a "test fit" in a second.

Typically, you can go large in diameter with out too much hassel, but when you start going wider is when things start to make contact underneath... Add them both together, and it's time for more lift!

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... since the lack of support for 265/10.5 tires I started to quote for 245/75R16 MT tires...

Here this isn't a popular size, so I'm having some problems to find good prices... until now I only manage to get 2 quotes:

Dunlop GrandTrek MT2: USD 269.92 each
Good-Year MT/R (not Kevlar): USD 360.54 each

By the way, for the same amount of the MT2, I can get 5 15x7 steel rims and 5 31x10.5R15 Dunlop MT1 tires...

Pics:

Dunlop GrandTrek MT1 / MT2
You must be registered for see images

Cheers! :)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd go with the steel rims. That's a better long term decision, IMHO.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go with the steel rims. That's a better long term decision, IMHO.
I think that too... but isn't enough information about backspacing and such... I don't want to rub in the suspension components and don't want to tear off my fenders (but I'm willing to trim *a little* here and there)... And, of course, I want to gain suspension travel... This is not for looks... it's for off-road performance / spend money wisely...

The only one with 15x7 that I've heard is LTT... but he has a 4x2 and 32'' tires... kj924 has 15x8 rims with 4'', others have more... there is some people with 16x8, but has been said for many here that is better to stick with 7'' rims...

I want 15'' rims only because here the 31x10.5R15 tires are a lot cheaper than 245/75R16 or 265/70R16... These are the rims btw

They are 15x7, 5-114... I have to go and measure the offset and backspacing.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only found LT245/75R16 MT/R's with E load range... I was thinking in just a C load range... but again, only the LT31x10.5R15 have load rating C...

Why these things are never easy.... :(

UPDATE: Well... researching a little here and over LOST most people running 31'' C load range MT tires without rubbing issues, are running 31x10.5R15 in 15x7 steelies with 0 offset / 4" BS

I can get all of these here for not-so-much-money... so thanks to all the people who helped :)

Now, to get some decent 2.5"+ lift ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online