What sound does a bad wheel bearing make

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
I think I may have a bad wheel bearing but i'm not quite sure. I have had to do a lot of things to vehicles before but never replace wheel bearings. I have a almost metal to metal sound coming from my front driver side wheel. It gets worse with speed. And it is not the CV. So this is my last though unless someone else would be so kind as to pipe in.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I assume you have checked the brake to make sure it is free and not binding.
I would jack it up or on a lift, ensure there is no movement in the bearing hub, by trying to move the tire up down/sideways, make sure it is solid, and give it a few spins and listen for a grinder.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume you have checked the brake to make sure it is free and not binding.
I would jack it up or on a lift, ensure there is no movement in the bearing hub, by trying to move the tire up down/sideways, make sure it is solid, and give it a few spins and listen for a grinder.

I agree with everything that LibertyTC stated. A bad wheel unit bearing will howl not sound like a metal on metal scraping sound. Likely your disc brake pads are shot or the caliber sliders are seized up.

tboneil24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine sounded like, when we were kids and jammed pop cans in our bike tires, to make them sound like motorcycles. Faster you go the faster the sound gets.

I verified it by doing what LibertyTC recommended and wow did it have a lot of play. Replaced it and the sound went away. I also noticed, at this time, I needed new pads and rotors. So, if your due new brakes and putting in new hubs, miles well do both at the same time.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If you replace the wheel Hub, please also post the mileage it was required at.
This helps give an idea of service life. Thanks!

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
I thought that may be the issue so new brakes and rotors were first on the list as they[VIMEO][/VIMEO] were the cheapest. And low and behold........ no dice. So a few spins of the wheels while under the jeep and I had mostly made up my mind that its a bearing. Any other suggestions to help limit possibilities.