what size tires with TJ MOAB wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a set of MOAB wheels for the jeep. currently the jeep has a BDS lift with 3/8" clevis lift, 1/4" top plate, and 2 extra isolators in the rear. the wheels on it right now are Pro-comp rock crawler series 98 16"x7" with 4 or 4.5" of backspace IIRC.

i am wondering if it would be of to continue to run a 245/75/16 on the 16x8 moabs or if i should change to something like 265/70/16 (almost identical height but 1" wider than current size). what tire size, lift setup, etc... do people usually run with MOABs on the KJ?

i am trying to avoid having rubbing/clearance issues or needing to modify anything else to run the MOABs.

thanks in advance.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I found a set of MOAB wheels for the jeep. currently the jeep has a BDS lift with 3/8" clevis lift, 1/4" top plate, and 2 extra isolators in the rear. the wheels on it right now are Pro-comp rock crawler series 98 16"x7" with 4 or 4.5" of backspace IIRC.

i am wondering if it would be of to continue to run a 245/75/16 on the 16x8 moabs or if i should change to something like 265/70/16 (almost identical height but 1" wider than current size). what tire size, lift setup, etc... do people usually run with MOABs on the KJ?

i am trying to avoid having rubbing/clearance issues or needing to modify anything else to run the MOABs.

thanks in advance.

If you are running 16X7s with 4 inches of backspacing then the MOABs would sit out the same amount
Personally I like a tread width that more or less matches the width of the wheel . 265-70-16s have a tread width of about 8 inches ( same width as the MOABs ) 245-75-16s are a more narrow tread pattern. Of course depending on tire brand, tread pattern etc
NOW some will argue that the MOABs originally came with 245-75-16s, yes they did BUT it was all in advertising. JEEP wanted a 8 inch wide wheel with a 31 inch tall tire for bragging rights and there were not many tires at that time that fit what they were looking for, hence the reason for the 245-75-16 MTRs .
So your choice in the end. You'll notice some difference for sure

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are running 16X7s with 4 inches of backspacing then the MOABs would sit out the same amount
Personally I like a tread width that more or less matches the width of the wheel . 265-70-16s have a tread width of about 8 inches ( same width as the MOABs ) 245-75-16s are a more narrow tread pattern. Of course depending on tire brand, tread pattern etc
NOW some will argue that the MOABs originally came with 245-75-16s, yes they did BUT it was all in advertising. JEEP wanted a 8 inch wide wheel with a 31 inch tall tire for bragging rights and there were not many tires at that time that fit what they were looking for, hence the reason for the 245-75-16 MTRs .
So your choice in the end. You'll notice some difference for sure

yea i have to dig through my post history or receipts to figure out my current backspacing, it looks like pro-comp discontinued the 16"x7" wheels and 4wd shows no order history on my account. my biggest concern is rubbing, my pinchwelds are already flattened so if they rub i would be SOL.
edit: definitely 4" backspacing, looking forward to getting my moabs this weekend.

Last edited:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moabs + 265-70-16 = Good combo. Depending on how aggressive the tread patterning is, if you've already flattened the pinch welds, you should be OK, generally.

Latest posts

Members online